Can they garnish

:ooh:

I have a credit card that has been is in collections. I talked to one person there and a payment schedule of $150.00 a month was setup. I have been making these payments since October. Last week I was contacted by another person there and he said that they want all the money now, or they are going to sue and garnish my husbands wages. Can they do this. I have copies of all the checks. On the first letter they sent, they said I owed $5762.24 plus 237.97 interest. I have sent them $750 and now they say I owe $6100. Please help me. Thanks

Can you contact the OC- maybe you can work out an arrangement with them. I would attempt that first- then send CA a debt Validation letter, asking them to confirm this is your debt due to accounting differences. Who is this CC with? What CA are you dealing with?

The CC is FNANb, which has been charged off. The CA is National Credit Acceptance. They were acepting payments since October. Npw they want me to get a loan a pay them off which I can't do. I am at wits end and don't know what to do.

Vickie,

Of course the CA would love for you to get a loan to pay them off. As you have been making payments ongoingly they figure they've got you hook, line & sinker! Decide what your intentions regarding the debt are. If you can and would like to clear up the matter, send a Cease & Decist letter to the CA, then go back and contact the OC. If you are unable to meet demands consider just a C&D letter and cut off all activity with the CA. They will probably just refer your account back to the OC who may or may not sue depending on their policies. Basically, you are sue material because your husband at least has wages they may be able to go after. The CA's work on commission and the more they collect the more income they take home. The basic idea is get whatever they get when they can get it.