Can they take your taxes???

I have a judgment from 2001 for $2,192

I recently did my taxes and was told that i was getting $0 back and i had to pay back $17 State Tax and $65 Fed tax. Is it possible that they took my money for the judgment. This has never ever happened b4 and if they did take my money am i going to receive some type of correspondence?

<blockquote>Originally posted by ali77

I have a judgment from 2001 for $2,192

I recently did my taxes and was told that i was getting $0 back and i had to pay back $17 State Tax and $65 Fed tax. Is it possible that they took my money for the judgment. This has never ever happened b4 and if they did take my money am i going to receive some type of correspondence?

</blockquote>

I'm an Enrolled Agent with over 25 years tax experience. Your tax refunds can only be taken for debts that include back taxes (Federal and State), alimony, child support and Federally insured loans, like Student or Farmers Home Administration loans. Other creditors, like credit cards, would just LOVE to have that clout but they don't. Sounds to me like you were just plain under-withheld, but judging by the amounts, not by much. Just File and pay April 15th and you have no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

WEll something in that sounds REALLY fishy to me seeing as how I do taxes for a living.

Now the company I work for does the refund anticipation loans and when you sign the papers you are signing away your rights to your refund to the bank and its assocaite companies if you owe any charged off, deliquent or other type of credit card accounts.

THis is different since you are actually signing an agreement to let them check your credit and take the money.

YOu need to talk to someone about all that.. it doesnt make sense at ALL

<blockquote>Originally posted by Sakiawarner

WEll something in that sounds REALLY fishy to me seeing as how I do taxes for a living.

Now the company I work for does the refund anticipation loans and when you sign the papers you are signing away your rights to your refund to the bank and its assocaite companies if you owe any charged off, deliquent or other type of credit card accounts.

THis is different since you are actually signing an agreement to let them check your credit and take the money.

YOu need to talk to someone about all that.. it doesnt make sense at ALL

</blockquote>

I don't do RAL's any more, haven't for about ten years but I remember the banks had a mutual bad-debt collection policy concerning unpaid RAL's only, not other debts to the banks. BUT, even if the bank did take the refund to pay a prior year's bad RAL, it was taken by the bank, not the IRS. Had the taxpayer opted for simple Direct Deposit instead of a bank product the taxpayer would have gotten their refunds. The IRS does not offest refunds for any debt except certain ones allowed by law, and Credit Cards aren't one of those.