Evil Ex Husband & Credit Report

:cool:

Good Morning!

A dear friend of mine is going through a divorce, the divorce attorney has dropped the ball on getting it finalized, an issue that is being handled by the discipline board in Louisiana.....

They have gone through the process of dividing up property, all that is settled....In the meanwhile however, her "Soon to be" exhusband is doing some nasty things - very nasty things to her, death threats, harassment, etc.

Well, one of the things this idiot is doing involves her credit. She got a call from her mortgage company the other day, (she refinanced a few months ago after the properties were split between the two of them) and they told her that someone, a man, representing himself as "Mr. Jane Doe" (in other words using her name) and wanted a bunch of information about her mortgage. They did not give this information to him and let her know what was going on. Later she finds out that he has been pulling credit reports and finding out all of her financial information from her credit report.

What are the legal ramifications for something like this? Please advise! :)

:) :) :) :) :) :)

File complaint with FTC - there are major penalties for accessing credit reports with out permissible purpose or fraudulently.

File a police report - get a restraining order!!!

Have her contact ALL of her creditors and change ALL of her account numbers / pin numbers set, with specific instructions not to allow anyone to access her accounts or call inquiring about her accounts.

Call the CRAs - may put consumer statment on credit report saying "please verify idenity before approving credit for any reason" along with her phone number - would recommend cell phone. This has to be done in writing w/copy of her phone bill sent in proving her ownership of the cell phone account.

This will put a wrinkle in her credit, but better than waiting for him to destroy it for her. Also contact the social security administration and report to them about his accessing her credit report using her social security number. In some cases they will give a new social security number - but the draw back is starting fresh on the credit side - also have to watch the CRAs to make sure they don't mix her old & new credit file. If she goes this way write in a letter to the CRAs to update new ssn & request all relating information with the ex be deleted for her protection.

That should give a good start - just tell her to be very careful & best wishes.

[Edit by kb9tbq on Saturday, March 8, 2003 @ 01:11 PM]

Yeah, I've told her to call all creditors and ask for a new password, good idea about account #'s!

Also advised her to pull her credit report and see who has pulled it in the past several months. Its MESSED UP how people can be to each other, and she isn't the kind that will kick back - God help the man that did that to me, I'd be suing the CRAP out of him!! haha

Have to be so careful - there are all kinds of sorts these days.

But she needs to stress to the creditors not to accept account verification from anyone.

My job for a credit bureau involves contacting creditors everyday to ask just that, sometimes they require authorization (signed form from a bank) sometimes they just verify.

Some of these companies are new ones, some know me from calling on a regular basis for other accounts. Just the idea is that you would be amazed with how much a person with the right story could gain just by calling. So she needs to be real careful to stress this point with the creditors.

[Edit by kb9tbq on Saturday, March 8, 2003 @ 01:34 PM]

<blockquote>Originally posted by ShamrockGal

Well, one of the things this idiot is doing involves her credit. She got a call from her mortgage company the other day, (she refinanced a few months ago after the properties were split between the two of them) and they told her that someone, a man, representing himself as "Mr. Jane Doe" (in other words using her name) and wanted a bunch of information about her mortgage. They did not give this information to him and let her know what was going on. Later she finds out that he has been pulling credit reports and finding out all of her financial information from her credit report.

What are the legal ramifications for something like this? Please advise! :)

</blockquote>

First off, I'm sorry for your friend- I bet she's terrified and he sounds like a real jackass.

Second, there was a recent case in the 8th Circuit that involved a mother pulling her daughter's boyfriends credit report. Although the court upheld the dismissal of violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, it did allow the tort claim of Invasion of Privacy.

I haven't read the entire case, only a synopsis so I can't give you more on it but here's a link to it if you're interested Phillips v. Grendahl

• 2 weeks later...