calalawyer, can you translate this statute for me?

ok i have found where the pa sol law info can be found and read, but unfortunately i cant understand it, are there any lawyer types or other people that can read the code and decipher it for me? i want to know the sol for credit card and medical bills, i'm sure its either 4 years or 6. it makes a world of difference to me.

the statute is title 42 judiciary and judicial procedure. part VI actions, proceedings and other matters generally. chapter 55 limitation of time, subchapterB civil actions and proceedings, i thank in advance anyone who can help me

Here is my advice. What you really need to do is go to your local law library (in a law school or the courthouse) and ask the librarian for the annotated code. That is a book that has your state statutes in it and a compilation of all cases that interpret the code. If you do this you will have a Penn. Judge's opinion of what the statute means instead of a California lawyer's opinion.

Good luck.

§ 5525. Four year limitation.

The following actions and proceedings must be commenced within four years:

An action upon a contract, under seal or otherwise, for the sale, construction or furnishing of tangible personal property or fixtures.

Any action subject to 13 Pa.C.S. § 2725 (relating to statute of limitations in contracts for sale).

An action upon an express contract not founded upon an instrument in writing.

An action upon a contract implied in law, except an action subject to another limitation specified in this subchapter.

Credit cards in PA have a 4 year SOL, not 6, as they are NOT considered written contracts.

It is my understanding that medical bills fall under the UCC for Goods and Services and therefore have an SOL of 4 years as well.

[Edit by LadynRed on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 @ 01:03 PM]

<blockquote>Originally posted by LadynRed

§ 5525. Credit cards in PA have a 4 year SOL, not 6, as they are NOT considered written contracts.

</blockquote>

This is absolutely correct. Being a PA resident I always thought it was 6, but my attorney has confirmed it is in fact 4 years for credit cards in PA.

You're welcome :)

"Legalese" can be difficult to decipher for those of us w/o an education in law. It is certainly NOT meant for the layperson to understand easily. I used to work for a consulting firm that did a LOT of litigation support work, so working with some high-powered DC lawyers over 4 years taught me a lot.

now i must keep quiet and avoid the ca's, and wait to do validation, i believe by september or october the statute of limitations will be expired on my debts, and now i guess i dont need to file bankruptcy :cool:

[Edit by candyman826 on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 @ 07:13 PM]