Thinking of Hiring a lawyer to negotiate a JUDGEMENT

I have a judgement that's 6 yrs old. I need a low cost lawyer aware of consumer law to help me negotiate a settlement and get the judgement off my credit report! I want to settle and speed the payments out over several months.

Can some one refer a lawyer to me?

Why hire a lawyer? The money you pay him can go towards the judgement. Look at it this way. You can write a letter to the ?? asking them to consider an offer of settlement for complete removal. Make a reasonable offer and ask that all correspondence be in writing. Don't lowball too much. They more than likely will respond with a counter. For example, say the amount is $1000.00. You offer $250.00. They may come back at $400.00. You counter with $325.00. They may settle. If they refuse to remove, rescind your offer. You do not need a lawyer. From what I've heard, many won't accept payments on an offer of settlement.

[Edit by retmar on Saturday, April 12, 2003 @ 03:11 PM]

The reason to hire a lawyer is because they might pull a fast one. First of all the original judgement is for $3500, 6 yrs of interest (allowed by law), and penalties, processing fees, blah,

blah, blah. I'm looking at $7500 bucks to settle.

Also, I don't know the legal mumbo jumbo to fully satisfy and keep it off my credit report.

This lawyer that sued me was a real scum bag. He gets cases in

the $2500 range and sues in Municipal court.

... Anyhow you gave me an I idea. I'll hire a lawyer to offer

him $1000 and get it satisfied and keep it off my credit. I'll pay the lawyer $450 bucks. What do think?

I don't know much about how desperate lawyers are for money. But if I can settle for under $1800 including lawyer's fees,

I'm a happy camper.

.... Hey, can somebody recommend a lawyer to me?

[Edit by ADSOFT on Saturday, April 12, 2003 @ 08:44 PM]

It could be worth a try. Go to naca.com and look for a lawyer in your area. All those listed are consumer attorneys. When you find one, be sure to have him go over all of the paperwork in hopes of a possible error in the judgement. I didn't realize it was that much. Most of all, they have to remove the negative off of the CR or no pay. Must be in writing. Good luck.

If all you want is an attorney to send your letter offering a settlement, get a prepaidlegal attorney for that. They can do it for around $35 once you sign up (that is the fee in most states). They can send the letter out for you within a couple of days. If you're interested I can give you the number of a friend of mine who sells prepaid legal. I used them once for a collection agency and it was great.

Jod