A Thought on Judgments

After reading all the posts on judgments, I have just one question..........how do they know that they have the right person when judgments are placed on your CR's? There isn't one single place that I can find where my SS# is on the judgment papers. And, there are, I am sure, a lot of others out there with my same name. The person that the CRA's send to look into public records doesn't know my SS# either....so how do they know?????

Debbie :ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

When going to the court house to collect judgment records; they look for the name and address. Sometimes a creditor (plaintiff) will supply a contract with social security number but not often.

So the CRA will use the address on file to match your name & social security number.

*** When businesses access your credit report they don't need your social security number to do this - first and foremost they need your address.

So yes; files get mixed quite often; but technically they can't rely on the SS# since they are not legally entitled to it. Only taxes and employers are.

[Edit by kb9tbq on Saturday, April 12, 2003 @ 05:14 PM]

So does this mean that if you move to a new state and change your name (ie get married) they have no way of finding you? Or can they still use the ss# (even if they aren't entitled legally) to find you? I have not looked at my credit report and don't know if my ss# is on there. Is it usually supplied on the CR? Also, I don't remember for sure but I thought that credit card applictaions asked for the ss# which would mean they have it to give to the collection agencies, whether or not they are supposed to.

Well that doesn't answer my question. What's a "skip tracer" and how else can they find you if you have a different address, a different job, and a different name? Without the SS#, how can they find you? And the question was whether the SS# is supplied on the Credit Report or the credit card application.

A "skip tracer" is a person or company that searches for debtors. They scan and search all public records (and some private) to try and locate a debtor that seems to have vanished. They are especially interested in finding debtor assets.

Many debt collectors are in fact skip tracers. Depending on the amount of the debt, a private investigator may also do skip tracing.

From my own personal experience, I just recently got married last year. A little after that my wife bought a brand new car and registered it in her new name. Lo and behold, CA's that seem to have disappeared started contacting me at my new address. While I don't have proof, I have no doubts that a skip tracer (who, by the way, filed suit against me) put two and two together.

C>

Your social security number is absolutely on your credit report.

Also, while I think it's probably a little more difficult to find a woman who gets married, moves and changes her name, it still can be done.

I'm sure a good skip tracer already knows to be on the lookout for name changes, marriages and moving across state lines. Not to mention, the underhanded tactics that I'm sure they use.

C>

Just to satisfy your own curiosity, visit this website:

www.knowx.com

and see what you can find out about yourself.

There is a cost to perform searches and get information. However, if you're interested to see what ANYBODY can find about ANYBODY ELSE, I think it's worth the price.

[Edit by cybercrusader on Thursday, April 17, 2003 @ 08:16 AM]