Phone bill. HELP please!

I cancelled my phone service with MCI in 1999. My husband misread the bill and overpaid it by $39. We tried in vain to get a refund. Last November MCI sent me a postcard requesting I call them about my service. My husband called and explained the situation. Two weeks later we received a phone bill for $21. We are living with my husband's mom and have not had a phone in our name since January 2000. Until this MCI bill came, we received no bill from MCI since the one we paid after we cancelled the service. Now MCI has a collection agency hounding us. We don't know what we should do. Any advice is most welcomed. By the way, my husband called the phone company we used in Arizona and they said our MCI service was cancelled December 9. :confused:

Yes, my husband called MCI and spoke to a lady about this. We started getting this new bill about 2 weeks after he talked to her. My husband told me the lady on the phone refused to listen to his explanation and just told him he would have to pay the bill or the phone service would be cancelled. My husband said that he said, 'What bill? We don't have your service, nor do we have a phone in our name'. The lady refused to discuss the matter further.

You were one of the unlucky ones who had to deal with a $9 an hour phone jockey.

MCI double billed me and sent me a collection warning two weeks after I signed up. I made one phone call to the supervisor and it was taken care of on the spot, with a confirmation letter sent to me.

I would call and speak to a supervisor in billing, not customer service, and state the only way this account could have been reactivated is if one of their reps "slammed" you, meaning they signed you up without your permission. Ask for an explanation of how a $39 credit could turn into a collection for $21. If it appears they are not willing to help you out, demand a formal investigation and tell them you will be filing a complaint with the FTC, FCC and your local Utilities Commission, then do it. If they are willing to take care of it, ask for written documentation of their intent including deletion and withdrawl of any collection activity.

Let me know how that works.

My wife and I talked with no less than fifteen phone jockeys about a phone bill that was less then $20. We didn’t have an account with them so they never sent us a bill from two years since we stopped the service with them. It was a joke. Finally I yelled at some higher than supervisor and they sent me three statements with yellow lines details explanations in had written notes. We sent a check for $18 wit a note of he estimated amount they had to spend trying to lie to us about this bill! This could have been easily solved if one of the 14 would have just looked on their computer screen and read off what the charges were for. “Phone jockey” may be an overestimate of their ablities.

Send them a letter stating the FCBA and oteh Federal laws detailg how they are violating the law. It worked for me.

My wife and I talked with no less than fifteen phone jockeys about a phone bill that was less then $20. We didn’t have an account with them so they never sent us a bill from two years since we stopped the service with them. It was a joke. Finally I yelled at some higher than supervisor and they sent me three statements with yellow lines details explanations in had written notes. We sent a check for $18 wit a note of he estimated amount they had to spend trying to lie to us about this bill! This could have been easily solved if one of the 14 would have just looked on their computer screen and read off what the charges were for. “Phone jockey” may be an overestimate of their ablities.

Send them a letter stating the FCBA and oteh Federal laws detailg how they are violating the law. It worked for me.

I called MCI and had to wait 19 minutes to talk to someone. I asked to talk to a supervisor and was put on hold again. After 15 minutes, I just hung up the phone. I will try again on Wednesday. I wish to say a sincere thank you to those who gave me advice.

I enjoy reading these posts. I saw one that is similar to a problem I'm having, but I don't think the solution is not the same. ;)