Settlement? Or go 4 it

I've been following some suggestions here and this is whats up,credit card debt-last payment 8/98,has gone to collection 11/99- with no attempt to collect until recently 2/03,(you guys are correct,bought a car recently and it red flaged me)I am getting harrassed by both collection agency and attorney from OC.Sent a letter to OC for settlement which was agreed to today if full payment is made,NO WAY POSSIBLE,also sent debt val letter 2days ago to their attorney waiting for reply,question is how to procede as by CAL. law 4 years SOL should of been up at the outset 5/3/03,to keep all my ducks in a row I'm asking whats the best way to proceed,settle?go to court risk SOL defense there in another state longer SOL,if you have suggestions please reply. Thanks

As of yesterday, the SOL in CA has EXPIRED, could even be sooner depending on the date your using to figure the SOL period start. There is NO benefit whatsoever in settling on an expired debt. If they have not already filed a lawsuit against you, they can't do it now and if they do, you have a bullet-proof defense using the SOL.