judgment paid before courtdate!

I need some information. I was notified of a pending judgment. The amount was paid IN FULL with the exception of the attached court costs two days before the court date. I recently learned that although payment was received for the amount of collection, the judgment went through because I failed to pay the $100 court costs. This was confusion on my part. I did not realize I had to pay those costs if it did NOT go to court :((( Now I have this awful judgment on my file and having a great deal of difficulty with credit. Can someone advise me of any hopes for having this deleted from my credit file? I considered small claims court but I have no idea if what they did was legal. Thanks for any help you might offer.

karen

Even though you didn't show up, the court costs are valid. Since that $100 judgment will sit there and incur interest, I suggest you get it paid ASAP and get a letter of satisfaction from the judgment creditor. Make sure the Satisfaction gets filed as well by checking back with the court clerk. Once you have it Satisfied, you can have it updated on your credit report.

What state are you in ? Some states allow for judgments to be taken OFF your credit report long before the 7 year reporting period is up (like NY).

I am in Louisiana. I have paid the $100 and took the letter to the clerk of courts. The problem is that it still shows on my credit report as a judgment :(...and it looks like I paid it years after the judgment rather than the day before court even before the judgment was handed down!!! Its sickening and I'm so sad about it.