garnished wages questions

I am new here, and new to this whole garnished wages thing. I have a debt with a credit card company, they called me yesterday and blah blah blah, threatened to sue me and everything. I cannot afford what they wanted me to pay ($600 up front and 100 a month) or $1500 total up front now. So anyways, if they garnish my wages, what else can they do?

Can they touch my joint bank account?

Can they take anything like a car or other things?

First, they can't do ANY of that unless and until they win a judgment. They have to follow the process of law no matter what.

What state are you in ? Some states do not allow garnishment of wages.

Your bank account CAN be garnished or levied, and they can sieze any NON-EXEMPT personal property. The exemptions vary by state. If you have nothing that can't be exempted, they don't get anything. Homestead and vehicle exemptions are based on equity.

Yes, they can still go for the bank account. If they were to take it, you'd have to prove what portion of it was NOT your money, and therefore exempt, to get it back.

Depending on the value of your car (Black book, NOT Blue book), they *could* place a lien on it, but its not likely they will. It could even fall within the NY exemptions.

Only a couple of states prohibit wage garnishments and in most cases wages actually can be garnished without a judgment. All it takes is for you to admit to the debt and them knowing where you are employed. Most people admit to oweing a debt when a debt collector calls!