Agreed to pay, can they still sue?

My student loan collection agency offered a settlement which I accepted verbally. The next day they were to send the agreement but decided they wanted more money and would not honor the agreement. I do not have the ability to pay the higher amount and thus agreed to the payment plan they had presented me. Now they are refusing to allow payments and state I must pay one lump sum or they will seize my home.

Since I have agreed to a settlement and to a payment plan are they still able to take my house? What happens if I am sued? Will the fact that they lied and withdrew the settlement make any difference in court?

Thanks for your help!

just from what i have read on the boards, if you didn't agree in writting and they didn't record the conversation, I don't see how they can prove you agreed to anything. Someone else on this board will be able to correct me if i am wrong, and answer the 2nd part of your question.

Wow! For me, they just took my tax checks until it was paid off. Is your name the only one on your house? That seems pretty drastic...but it's the gov't... :eek: From here on out, I would just tell them to "put it in writing" and don't talk to them on the phone!

StressCase, I am not aware of anyone who has lost a home due to delinquent student loans unless somehow you shifted equity from your home to pay down debt. The collector must have meant placing a lien against your home which can be done if you are successfully sued.