Calawyer question

I got a e-mail from my attorney today about my case against the CA which we filed in Fed court in Feb of this year. He said that they asked him to send them an individual settlement offer. My lawyer suggested $15,000 plus attorneys fees to me. I think that is low. My DH lost 3 months of work ($15,000 lost)due to these dirtbags not to mention 7 FDCPA violations. Also, my DH emotionally fell apart back when all of this happened in 2001. I mean he fell hard! :(

So, I guess I am asking if you think that $30,000. + Attn. fees would be an amount that is do-able. Or is this a totally ridiculous amount to ask for? Opinions wanted! :upsidown:

<blockquote>Originally posted by capepuffin

I got my answer. We're asking for more! I'll let you know if and when we settle! :)

</blockquote>

Cape :eek: Whoa. Good Luck on your requested settlement amount :) Who was this CA and what did he do to upset DH :confused: ? Is he better now? I would be while waiting for my 30,000.00 :D

<blockquote>Originally posted by vonniegirl

<blockquote>Originally posted by capepuffin

I got my answer. We're asking for more! I'll let you know if and when we settle! :)

</blockquote>

Cape :eek: Whoa. Good Luck on your requested settlement amount :) Who was this CA and what did he do to upset DH :confused: ? Is he better now? I would be while waiting for my 30,000.00 :D

</blockquote>

I don't want to say who the CA is until after we settle or go to court. The CA got my DH fired from his job of 6 yrs. because they called and told them that they were going to arrest him in front of all of his co-workers and it would be highly embarassing! DH is working again but we went through hell because of these scumbags! He can't even really talk about our lawsuit because he gets so upset. My DH was an officer in the army for 15 years and a strong person. I and my family watched him slowly deteriorate over months due to the harassment. He is better now, but I don't discuss this much with him. He dosen't even know about the settlement! You know more than he does! I figure when it is over I will surprise him if we settle.

Actually the settlement amount is MUCH higher than $30,000. Lets see if they accept it. If not I will gladly see them in court!

;)

Go for it CP. Just a couple of things about settlement though. Remember, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Settlement is a sure deal....going to trial is not. If they offer you an amount you are comfortable with, take it and don't look back. Trial is very time-consuming and unpredictable. Remember, if your attorney tells you that you have an 80 percent chance of winning (which would demonstrate EXTREME confidence in the case), that means if you tried the same case to the same jury ten times, you would lose twice!

Having said that, sometimes the defendant is just unreasonable and won't offer you enough. When they flip you the bird, it's time to go to trial. Then, there is really nothing to lose.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input calawyer! ;)

If they except our settlement beleive me I will jump on it. If they don't like you said there isn't much to lose at trial. I know that we have a really good case against the CA. The CA knows it too! It is a really big case w/many counts against them. Plus the class action suit. I think that they will probably want us to drop the class action suit against them if we agree to settle. I could be wrong though. I'm definately no lawyer, however my DH thinks that I missed my calling! ;) LOL