SOL on bad checks?

I received a letter from an attorney for a bad check dated 04/26/97 for $6.00. With fees it amounts to $36.00. The SOL for everything is 6 years in SD, which is where I lived at the time. The letter is dated 5/1/03 and I am wondering if SOL's applies to dishonored checks or not?

Also, I noticed this is showing on my credit report as a collection account, think I have any hope of getting it removed if I pay them their measly 36 bucks? Should I ask for validation first? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you.

Who's the collection agency first of all. If its NCC.. throw the notice in the trash, the FTC is going to shut them down !!!

If it isn't NCC, then definitely go with a validation letter to get the info on this thing. SOL's on bounced checks can be tricky, but likely it has expired. Further search of the state statutes may be in order.