University debt

I have a debt to my old college. It is not student loans. It is past the statute of limitations. It has been reaged on my credit report. It is past the time it should come off my report. I would like transcripts at some point.

That being said....here's my plan. I will dispute the debt on the credit report as being old. Then I will contact the university and offer a settlement in order to get transcripts. I have not done any of this work before. I am hoping to get some feed back in case I have missed something I should or should not do.

Thanks for all the information I have gleaned from this board to this point. :)

<blockquote>Originally posted by raggamuffin

That being said....here's my plan. I will dispute the debt on the credit report as being old. Then I will contact the university and offer a settlement in order to get transcripts. I have not done any of this work before. I am hoping to get some feed back in case I have missed something I should or should not do.

</blockquote>

Hi and welcome-

Good first step, bad second. Don't start negotiating yet, settlements are last when all other avenues have been tried. Dispute as "not mine" first with the CRA's. If the dispute with the CRA's doesn't remove it, then write the creditor a letter asking them for proof on the alleged debt and inform them that they are reporting incorrect information. When you know they have the letter, dispute again using something else. They can't respond to the CRA dispute without a notice of your dispute and they rarely do creating leverage for you, or they might not respond at all resulting in deletion. Come back and let us know in 30 days what happens and we'll help you out.

I'm willing to settle to get transcripts. I'm guessing that they don't have to give them to me unless I settle with them. If anyone knows diffrently I would love to know it. Thanks for the info.

[Edit by raggamuffin on Friday, May 23, 2003 @ 12:11 PM]

<blockquote>Originally posted by raggamuffin

I'm willing to settle to get transcripts. I'm guessing that they don't have to give them to me unless I settle with them. If anyone knows diffrently I would love to know it. Thanks for the info.

</blockquote>

Ah ok, so it's past the 7 years reporting period. In that case you don't need to deal with all that. It should be removed from your files and you should get the transcripts if you pay em. So I will change my answer and agree with step 2 ;)