Is this a violation of my privacy rights?

I sent a complaint to a creditor using planetfeedback regarding a listing on my credit report. I basically informed them that the account was not mine and to remove it as soon as possible. This lady, who I assume was a customer representative, sent me an email which included my name, address, phone number and social security number in the message. I wrote her a letter back informing her of my disapointment that she would send my personal information via email, among other things. She wrote me back stating that she didn't know the contact information was mine. She was just sending me the information on the customer that matched the account number given. This was riduculous and unacceptable to me. This is a very large and well known organization, and I'm sure its customers would not be pleased to know their personal data was being handled so carelessly. Would this be considered a violation of privacy rights? And what would you do?

Thanks

Well, is it your account or isn't it? If it isn't and they're reporting it to the CRA's, you may sue them under the FCRA for reporting false information.

I don't see a privacy angle. You opened the issue up when you sent an email. Nothing wrong with responding to an email. If the info is incorrect, attack from than angle.

kiakia123: I definately feel for you, and can just imagine having the same reaction to someone so rudely responding in such a matter. Had you provided in the e-mail alternate contact information? Where you just forwarding a demand for removal or where you going about it sending a debt validation letter?

Them debt validation letters; should be saved only for certified mail, when you send them. Too much to risk with giving creditors to long of a leash for contact methods. Especially bottom of the barral people who have not manners to think of what information they send and the potiential risk associated with online means.

Will definately need to make a note of that to warn others, about disputing via e-mail.

You might contact a lawyer, but I do believe Bingo is right - where an openning is provided, they will take opportunity.

Bingo stated that there is nothing wrong with responding to an email and I agree, but I never asked them to verify personal information, and they didn't have my permission to send my personal information via email. I would never do that myself.

I sent them a DV letter by certified mail and it was ignored. I used planetfeedback to get them to remove the listing from my credit report. I knew that they had the contact information because they reported to the CRAs. They had the mailing address and did not have to put my personal information on the computer for any and everybody to see. We all know that email is not secure, and I'm sure you would not put any of your personal information, especially your social in an email.

Sorry, I'm just upset and don't think it was right.

I didn't send the DV to the OC. I sent it to the the OC's collection agency, but after my letter was ignored, I called the CA and was told I would have to get validation from the OC, because they don't send out that information. I called the OC and was given the run around. I finally got fed up and sent a letter using planetfeedback, because I heard it was a good way to get a response. I got a response that basically said I needed to fill out fraud papers, and the person felt it necessary to include my personal information as well, for whatever reason. My question to you and others is, how would you respond if this was done to you? Is it no big deal? Would you just let it go? What would you do?

Thanks for responding.

Think this is going to involve some major research on the subject - checking privacy laws dealing with internet and means of how creditors are allowed to disclose personal information. And to top it off if there is any current legislation going through the courts at this time dealing with this subject.

Places to start on the consumer side of things:

FTC www.ftc.gov

Attorney General

Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com

Rip off Reports www.ripoffreport.com/

Local representative / senetor

This is the extent of my ideas on this subject, but I will follow your posting here to see what others may contribute and what can be discovered on this issue for sure.