Jump to content

Defense in Court

Recommended Posts

My situation is this: CA who I never heard of files complaint against me in court. I never got a letter from them and so never disputed the debt with them. My guess is that CA sent notice to a previous address.

Anyway, I sent out a verification/dispute letter and I'm waiting for the green card back. Here's my question: What if CA ignores my letter and waits for the hearing date to present proof?

I'm also a little confused as to using verification/dispute as a defense. I've read conflicting opinion on this board about using it. Can it be used or can't it?



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, it can. You have evidence that you requested validation and, so far, they have not complied. If they drag you to court, you don't admit to anything, your answer is 'I don't know if its mine, they have not proven it as required per the FDCPA' .. and here's my proof that I asked for validation (the letters and green card).

They STILL have to prove that the debt is yours, bottom line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.