Getting rid of invalid inquires

There are many inquires on my credit reports with the company names that is fairly obvious are collection agencies or debt buyers etc. Many of these though have not reported any negative items on the report, nor have contacted me for collections. Just an inquiry. It appears like they have been checking out my credit for something, may be collections but they went their way without doing anything else.

My question is, for these types of inquires and to have them removed, can I ask for validation and intent from these companies/agencis

I have already got a list of thier addresses I requested from CRA's. Is what they are doing an FDCPA violation since these types of inquires damage the credit scroing. And am I legally entitled to ask them to request their removal from my credit reports.

Thanks in advance for help.

Terry

The answer is YES. You can ask to have them removed. They must have permissible purpose via the FCRA. Click on the link above and do a search for permissiable purpose to find the section. If the collectors don't remove it, you can sue.

• 1 month later...

i have kinda a stupid question..even though a collections have been settled can you still ask for debt validation? i know this sounds stupid but we wanted to buy a house and in order for us to do so we had to get those paid..now my husband says he doesnt even remember the debts..thanks

I haven't been having very good luck with this, but I have read several times that once the collectors or the original creditors get paid and you then dispute it, they are less likely to respond. So, off it goes.

I personally have been receiving the exact opposite response. They continue to verify it with the CRA's no matter how many times I dispute.

But that's O.K. though. I'm attacking them in all directions. BBB, letters with intent to sue and I've recently hired a lawyer (who is now sending letters to them as we speak). Next stop, we file a suit. It is my feeling that I will get what I want.

I do get frustrated on occasion, but it doesn't stop me.

Good Luck!!!