Can collection agents pull credit reports?

Can a collection agent pull a credit report on you?

Collection agent I'm dealing with sent me a copy of my credit report with the alleged debt highlighted as validation.

I'm wondering if this shows up as an inquiry?

Also, in the event that they cannot validate this debt, can I sue for improper request of my credit report?

<blockquote>Originally posted by kimber6337

Also, isn't it illegal or a no no for them to give you a copy of your credit report when THEY pull it?

Send your second letter hi-liting what you request for validation.

</blockquote>

The CRA's don't like it, and in most of their contracts they have a clause saying "don't do that" but it's not illegal. I think the FCRA even says specifically that clause in their contracts shouldn't be there, but I'm not 100% certain without looking it up, and I'm feeling lazy today ;)

<blockquote>Originally posted by kimber6337

LOL Cookie, I looked but didn't see it right off.

</blockquote>

§ 607. Compliance procedures [15 U.S.C. § 1681e]

© Disclosure of consumer reports by users allowed. A consumer reporting agency may not prohibit a user of a consumer report furnished by the agency on a consumer from disclosing the contents of the report to the consumer, if adverse action against the consumer has been taken by the user based in whole or in part on the report.

But I've read (although not actually seen one of these, mind you) that it's in the contracts of a lot of the banks/mortgage companies that they have to agree not to show you the report that they get from the CRA.

I've also read that the reports the mortgage cos and banks get can differ pretty greatly from the ones we get - not just in format, but in CONTENT as well. i.e., they'll say something is deleted from your report and it won't show on your copy but if a mortgage company pulls it, it'll still be there.