Being Sued for Medical Bills

I don't know where to put this so here goes anyways.

My husband was served with court papers yesterday for medical bills for me and 3 of our children for the past 48 months that have gone unpaid. Most of them are things our insurance didn't pay, about $1000.00 of it is from feb. 1 2002 when my infant son and i were rear ended, state farm has yet to pay these bills and I have contacted them about why they have not paid these bills, with no luck. I don't know what to do about them not paying my medical bills, for which i am now being sued.

Also the company that is suing us says there are 9 medical accounts and they are tying them together into one account. does anyone know if this is legal? they are doing it, and we have a court date for a grand total of over $6000 including $1229 attorney fees.

i am at a loss of what to do, where to begin...what do i do first? someone please point me in the right direction. i have an attorney who was suppose to be taking care of the car accident stuff and he refuses to return my emails, phone calls, i don't know what else to do, except go to his office, and he is usually never there when we do go.

In august of 2002 my attorney's secretary called saying state farm wanted to make a settlement, had me bring all my medical bills over and copied them, i have yet to hear anything about my medical bills, or be paid a dime for them.

what do i do about this?

help?!!! :confused:

All depends on what you coverage was suppose to cover, would look this part up, if you do find that the insurance was suppose to cover these Don't give up. Keep at them, this is the only real good way you have to clear things up. There are state agencies to which you can file a complaint with concerning insurance companies. Once you get their compliance (get it in writing) next will be coordinating between the insurance & hospital to make sure they get paid. Once this is accomplished (get proof account is paid - with the hospitals agreement to retract the collection). From this point contact collection with all of your documentation and request that they dismiss the judgment. Will have to follow up with the court house after this point to make sure everything is done.

What's unfortunate is that most of us don't know anything about the coverage we are buying until we get into a horrible accident like this. All that insurance-ese starts to mean alot more when you are laying in a hospital bed.

I truly feel for you and hope you can get things worked out. I wish I had some advice for you. :(