Stipulation and Debt Validation

Trilivonel

I entered into a stipulation with a CA assigned to Citibank in June for a Visa card. Sometime after that I received a letter from the same DC requesting payment for a Citibank Mastercard. I couldn't afford to pay both at the same time so I requested validation (using your letter posted on your website) for the Mastercard on July 18. By August 18 I didn't hear anything. In late July, I was laid off from my job and now am not able to pay according to the Stipulation agreement for the Visa card but I haven't heard anything from the CA as of yet. What should I do? Also, since the same agency is handling both accounts, if they couldn't validate the Mastercard account, how could they validate the Visa account? When I signed the stipulation, all that I was shown was the assignment letter, no contracts or amount owed on the Visa account. How did they trick me? Thanks for your help! This site is wonderful!

A Stipulation is an agreement between two parties laying out terms of paying on an account. In other words, the respondent is supposed to do such, such and such or the plantiff can obtain further judgments against the respondent. I signed the stip stating the amount of payments and the date for it to be paid on and a judge ok'd it. But the question is why wasn't I shown any contracts or any amounts that were claimed to be owed? In fact, the CA was asking me how much I think I owed. I was only shown the assignment letter from Citibank. So what do you think?

Yes, I have a copy of the stip. But I have no idea if the amount owed is what I really owe. I signed it because I didn't want my wages garnished which that is what I was threatened with along with the CA's representative saying that witnesses can be brought in to say the account is mine. But now I am unemployed so I can't pay according to the agreement. How can I handle this situation? Thanks.

If you signed it, you might be screwed, I'm sorry to say.

If you can't pay it, and they can't garnish wages, they coud seize property or bank accounts. But there's no way of really knowing what they will do. I suggest contacting them and seeing if you can make other arrangements to pay.