Anonymous

liens

DOes anybody know anything about liens? Here my situation. I am a student. I got into trouble with credit cards. I got tired of the threats and the late fees and overthe limit fees. I stopped paying my cards. Two of my credit card sold my accounts to first select corp. First select took me to court and got a judgement and then a lien. i owe 15k btw the two. i don't own anything not even a car. i have a job but can't afford to pay them. what steps should i take to clear this up. how long do liens last? how long do they have to collect? This happened in ohio.

thanks for your advice.

They basically have a judgment against you and the good news is that judgments only run so long. The bad news is that once the judgment statute of limitation is up, the person(s) holding the judgment can renew it so it stays on forever. It still drops off your credit report after 7 years, but if you purchase a home, the title company may find the judgment in court records.

You can negotiate this with them and work out a deal so they can say the judgment is satisfied.