Complaint about TU to FTC

Wyndo

How much success have you guys had with posting complaints to the FTC? As I'm considering what to do in filing a lawsuit against Trans Union for two violations, I decided to submit a complaint to the FTC. Maybe if more people would, they'd sit up and take notice that this is a much bigger problem than they think?

In the limited space provided, here's what I had to say:

If I understand the FCRA correctly, credit reporting agencies are required to (A) investigate disputes regarding consumer report information within 30 days, and (B) provide details regarding a re-investigation process, if requested by the consumer. Trans Union has refused to do both of these things, regarding inaccuracies on my credit report. I have been dealing with them for two years now, and if the FTC cannot intervene, I may be forced to sue them. Most recently, after disputing (again) a "judgement" listing on my report, I asked them (as per my FCRA rights) to send me a letter with details about their "reinvestigation" process. They refused. "Josette" told me the only way they would provide that was if it was subpoeoned. I told her I believed I was entitled to it under the FCRA and she said "not at all." In addition, several companies have pulled my credit which I did not authorize. I disputed this with Trans Union, and their reply back was to inform me that they would not investigate it. This information negatively impacts my credit rating, and is inaccurate. I believe by law they MUST take action. I have mail return receipts, and all incoming/outgoing mail in this matter. Thank you.

I think the FTC looks at the overal complaints received and then acts en masse. My general impression is, and I could be wrong, that they generally don't handle individual disputes. But I still encourage people to report violations to the FTC, they have helped in the past tremendously.

I have filed complaints on line with the FTC. I don't know what the outcome is yet. I filed one against Asset Acceptance. I can tell you though, that the FTC came back to me and asked me to provide any proof, claims, etc, that I may have in my possession to aid them in their investigation. In their letter to me I was advised that their investigation to take up to 60 days to complete. So, I'm not sure, but sounds as though they may be investigating "individual" complaints also. We shall see.

With Asset I had letters from the BBB, along with "all" the letters I had sent, and their responses. If you file on-line the FTC gives you a tracking number so you know they have received your file. Whether or not they ask to you submit any further info is entirely up to them. So Good Luck. I'm still waiting. :rolleyes:

I don't think I worded what I wanted to say right. Overall, they are looking at trends, but yes, there are cases they will jump in on. I just wouldn't count on them handling my disputes, they get alot reported to them. They will however, count every dispute in general and against certain CRAs and creditors. They may possibly use all individual complaints against a creditor or CRA if they file a class action lawsuit against them.

The FTC responded back via email this morning, basically to summarize the FCRA, and to say that they aren't going to do anything at all about it. They say that if I feel I've been wronged, I can take them to court. So much for that.

That's bull. I think now I would copy this, and send them a written complaint. I would also write to my atty general. Maybe call them and ask a "person" why they are not going to investigate this agency for violating federal law? Find you an atty and file a class action also?

I filed an online complaint with the FTC on July 13 this year.

I just got a complaint package THIS WEEK! It contained complaints forms for all the CAs named AND forms for Release of Information to be signed for the FTC to send to the CAs to get my info.

I'm still thinking about this.