PLEASE HELP ME !

SteveC

February 7th was the last payment made to a bill collector on a debt (that most likely the sol ran out on). The judge ordered payment for $4,788.04. On Feb 6, the bill collector is writing stating I still have a balance due of $2,038.12. The letter they send me stated the following: Placement AMT. $4153.04; aTTORNEY'S fEE: 0 ; dEBITS 0:0 Charges 497.85; Pre-Judgement Interest 372.65; Post-Judgement Interest 1, 802.62 Total debits = 6,826.16. Payments to client 0; Payments to collector-4,788.04; payments to corresponding attorney 0; misc credits - 0. Total credits 4,788. and they say balance due is 2,038.00. They say in forwarding payment please state the name of our client and make checks payable to Daniels Law offices, P.C. However, I called beneficial and they do not have a file on me at all. On the letterhead they state that "We are debt collectors". I have no idea why they want another 2,000. My debt with Beneficial was 4,000. I feel like they are pretending to be Beneficials attorney, however, they are a legal firm that specializes in collections and they are debt collectors. Can they do this? I thought this nightmare was finally over!

Judgments carry an interest rate set by state law. This site has a table broken down by state with the corresponding rate. Take a look at that and do some rough calculations and see if that's close to the amount claimed. Any other questions and I'd say see a lawyer. A judgment is a far different animal with very few protections.