Help with AU account

I did a dispute online with Experian on a charged off Providian account that I was listed as an AU. In checking my report today they say that the account was verified with the OC and has been updated. It does show the balance as $0 now which used to show $868 but also now shows $868 past due as of 3/2003. Also there was a note added that this was purchased by another lender.It was my understanding that they had to remove this because I am not legally responsible for this account, is that correct? What is my next step with them? Any suggestions??

paw67 :confused:

Thanks KB9 for the reply. I did as you suggested and called them...boy is that frustrating. The woman that I spoke with was very friendly but not very helpful. I explained the situation to her and she stated that they asked the cc company to remove the information from my report but they responded stating that it should remain on my account and they updated the info. I said that since I am not legally repsonsible it needs to be removed and she said they cannot do that since the cc company said it needs to stay. She also said that they cannot reinvestigate it since it has already been done. I proceeded to tell her that in the process of updating they show the balance as $0 but say that it was late as of 3/2003. I asked how is that possible if the balance is $0 and it was sold to another lender in 7/2002. We went round & round and she told me that I needed to contact the cc company directly and ask them to remove the account. Any suggestions as to where to go with this next? Should I just contact the cc company and demand that it be removed? Thanks for your help.

paw67 :mad:

Definately contact the original creditor head on - and dispute that they need to remove this account off of your credit report.

May even consider using www.planetfeedback.com

Remind them that you are not financially responsible for this debt and that you insist that they remove it from your credit report. Or remove the derogitory information in the tradeline.

Can't believe that the CRA would argue this; might even contact the CRA again and ask to speak with a manager on this matter.