Capital One Privacy Guard "scam" ?

My mom recently got her Cap One statement saying overlimit and a charge for $60. for something called Privacy Guard.

Calling cap one they say that she has had this 'service for three years now and she is billed once a year.

Calling Cap One they say that they will credit her account the overlimit fee but not the $60.00 Asked them if they would send statements showing this charge in the last two years and they say they cannot do that.

I know that my mom would certainly have noticed a $60 charge before and it was never there.

I would very much like to see these privacy guard charges from previous years and I would like her account credited with this. I know she would never have agreed to anything like this so called service.

Has anyone else run into this problem. How did you resolve it with them. Any thoughts.

Thank you

Privacy Guard is a service many here use to monitor their credit reports. You can sign up for the service and pull a 3 bureau credit report daily. The odd thing is that they actually charge $79.95 for the yearly subscription. You might want to have your mother call privacyguard and find out from them when the account was opened and see what you can do from that end.

Good luck!

paw67

So Privacy Guard is its own company.

Does anyone here know their number or how to call them. I do know that my mom never agreed to anything like that. There is no reason for her to monitor her credit reports.

In this state we get a free credit report every year and we are to be notified by them if anything negative shows up on our reports.

How did Capital One get involved with this.

Does this mean that she would have had to actually deal with Privacy Guard to have this service, or did Cap One just decide to do it.

Thank you

Here is a number that I got from their website - 1-888-609-2455. Not sure if this is the one that you want because they are having some trouble with the website right now, but it is a start.

Yes, they are a separate company from Capital One. It is possible that Capital One may have offered the service to their customers at one time as a "special promotion".

Good luck!

paw67

Thank you. Yes I know of the "special" free trials and if you say no they dont seem to hear you. They do it anyway and then you dont even know it and then your billed.

Funny thing is is that this hasnt shown on the statement before and they are saying it has been since 2001.

After all the talking with cap one on the phone the other day telling she never had this service, and never wanted it. She gets in the mail yesterday a thank you from Privacy Guard thanking her for her continuing business with them.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...