Question about CA marking account as in dispute.....

stacykat

I disputed an account a couple months ago with the CA and the CRA at the same time. The account was marked as in dispute on my file but I'm not sure if it was done by the CRA, the CA or both. Is there any way to tell who marked it? I'm pretty certain the CA didn't but I wanted some more proof to that so I can mark down another violation for them. Any help would be appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
I disputed and sent DV. My report shows Account in dispute-reported by subscriber (FCBA) and names OC. Can you explain this and What is supposed to be under present status. I have one I8,O9, others are R9 (last one I know) Thanks

This means that you are disputing a portion of a bill under the Fair Credit Billing Act. In the status area it would normally show either past due, collection, charge off, or paid/paying as agreed. When you dispute things with a dv letter to a ca, they are required to report this to the credit bureaus. That is what happend here, though, it would seem yours is reported by the oc under the fcba. To get the meanings of the I9, O9 or R9 you need to take a look at your report from equifax, it is listed on the report just what each one means.

OK, How long does this show and what effect does it have? I have not been contacted by either. RJM did send a response to my DV but I wrote them back and requested more. It may not help, they said they purchased the debt. But one account marked in dispute is an account I am not paying. Never heard of them. SOL is up anyhow. Will it just there til 7yrs goes by?

I have had two marked in dispute since 2000. I never even sent them a dispute letter either. I say it can pretty much stay on there until you either get the ca or oc to prove the debt is yours or until it falls off.

When things are marked in dispute there is no status and they are not counted in your fico score.

Don't they still look bad? Or not.. If I were to apply for a card or credit would these items show as collections are your saying they just don't count right now? They are both on experian, guess we could stay away from creditors that pull experian and use the othes... I have found experian to be quite tougher!!