charge-off account from 1997 with balance updated monthly Ex

Has this happend to anyone else? The original creditor charged off the account in 1997. It is never sent (to my knowledge) to a CA, but the OC still continues to add interest and report a balance owing. (They just started doing this in the past 12 months) Not only that, but the balance is 2 times as much as the charge-off. This is effecting my debt to income ratio. I thought if an account was charged off, the OC could only charge interest if they sent it to a CA because they have already taken the tax deduction for the account in the year that it became delinquent. Do I have any recourse in this matter. I have already disputed "wrong balance" and they came back verified with even more "interest" tacked on. I would not care, but it has brought my score down 100 points. (When I disputed I saw what my score should be.) This will eventually fall off next year, but in the meantime.........

Thanks