Unusual Medical question

Randysbarb

I am in South Carolina. I have several medical collections on my account from The Greenville Hospital System. These have all been turned over to a CA named MEDICOL. Apparently there is some law in SC that after a certain period of time these accounts can be turned in to the State Department of Revenue and deducted from your state tax return. My question is how can a CA have money taken from your state taxes? Wouldn't it have to be transferred back to the hospital first? It wasn't, it was taken from my taxes then listed as a paid collection with the CA on my CR with EQ. Anyone out there with answers or info on South Carolina collections? PLEASE HELP! I AM GETTING DESPERATE.

Randysbarb,

I've done a little looking around at South Carolina State laws and I haven't found anything that gives CA's the right to seize your State tax refund without having a judgement against you.

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't spend that much time looking but the seizure of assets for distribution to creditors usually requires a judgement or court order of some kind.

You should probably check with the courts to see if there is a judgement against you. And since this money has already been seized, you might want to speak with an attorney in your area.