Capital One - is killing me...

BrainDonor

I had an old CO on a Capital One Acct. I called them (Goodwill style call) and talked to what seemed to be a nice lady. She said although she understood my problem, there was nothing that could be done to remove the negatives from credit reports. Now, they are no longer reporting it as CO, but 120+ late and the CO notation has disappeared.

I need to get this one TL off my credit report. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

Well she brought it out of charge off, that was nice, may be if you send letter to the dispute address on your billing or go through www.planetfeedback.com for another adress and contact you might get further.

Then again you are dealing with Capital One, if I remember right others have said, good will was hard with this company.

You may just have to change gears and dispute with the CRA as "not mine" and go for removal all together.

Now that is an interesting approach and would be curious what they say -

I am not totally sure, you would need to tentatively offer this and see if they agree, but they must specifically give you letterhead documentation with their signature specifically saying that they are notifying all CRAs to delete this account as the end result to your negotiation.

So technically you have 3 more years of reporting on this account, that is not too much to try and negotiate removal for. I just remembered others saying that when the amount differed by more then $600 - creditors are in the practice of sending out special tax forms to claim as income, wonder if you had received this - and how you go about reversing that part also.

Worth a try, if nothing else but to learn what their stance is on this part. Not going to hurt anything worse at this point.

Well, that was both fun and exciting. :?

I spoke with "Oliver the manager" in the recovery department...and as I expected he was less than helpful. He told me it would be illegal to delete the info. I told him that if we had a binding agreement, it would not be illegal and not be a violation of the FCRA. He told me that I should discuss that with them. I said "who is them?" He said "FCR or whatever". Of course, I took this opportunity to educate this melon-head about the FCRA. In any event, the info is staying for now. I guess I am going to have to continue to dispute this the old fashioned way.

*sigh*

You know what, I have a feeling you are just not a people person - and for your own good stay off of the telephone from now on.

You can still try again, but go the route of sending letter first, oh - and you can post the general part for others to proof read first.

Just in case you cuss in your letters, :p

The war is not lost yet, just one battle -

I read your post and it caught my atterntion.

In my opinion and from what I have been reading on the net and other discusion board, you beating a dead horse if you think CAPITOL 1 is going be nice and work with you. If you have the money to settle and you are attempting a GOODWILL APPROACH, I would put it in writing, ... if they were going to listen to words that would have a long time ago.

Remember your long term going: Creadit repair, credit rebuilding: What does that mean: You want to clean up your old creadit as much as possible and be able to prove to future creditors that you are a good risk and and can be responsible with credit. Why? Because even if you have get turned down for future credit you can always apply for reconsideration.

So with the above mentioned this is what I would do.

I would write a goodwill letter staing that you had run into some hard times and your are willing to settle the account in full due ????? hardship reason: If they don't agree just pay the amount they asking for and put it behind you.

In the future if you get turned down for creadit sent a copy of those letters.

On thing I'm finding out about in creadit repair is that not all companies are going to be easy to work with, and some are LEGALLY GOING TO MAKE IT AS HARD AS POSSIBLE for you to get a good credit rating(Both CA'S and OC'S). Capitol One is one of those OC'S. So, in your situation, since it is a 4 yr old debt, just get it behind you and create a good will paper trail. Be glad at least that it is not with a CA.

Remember, CA'S you can force them to remove TL from your report, we have proven that most of them don't even have a legal leg to stand on when collecting on a debt. BUT, a CA, especially, if they provide statements that you used their credit card has the LAW on their side.

So in conclusion, since the debt is 4 yrs old, and you can pay it, and the OC is going to play hard ball, make a good will effort , document it and move on to the next NEG TL. Remember, since it is 4 yrs old it most likely not hurt your FICO too much and creaditor really only look at the last 2 yrs.

Hope that helps.

Said the account was almost 4 years ago, you would still have another year or so since in your state the SOL is 5 years, unless my source is wrong and that could be.

I will post some other links to check later when I get the webs sites up.

Thanks for the replies. I have also spent a lot of time reading other boards about Cap1. It does sound like I will be beating a dead horse. I was very pleasant with the meathead on the phone and didn't raise my voice once. I was just asking questions. While the questions could have been questionable, I was still polite about it. Anyway, I The debt was settled for less than the amount owed. It's just not showing as 'charge-off/settled' anymore. It now shows as 120+ past due. My balance with them is zero. I was just asking them to reconsider their stance. SO, I've come to a decision that most of you will probably like...

I am going to start a "Hate" website devoted to Cap1. I having been thinking about this all day. It's time for us (the little guys) to fight back. I have all sorts of thoughts bouncing around in my head as to how this can best be accomplished. One of which is distributing bumper stickers to the site's visitors who share their stories. There would be nothing that could be considered libel or slanderous, I will be very careful there. Cap1 is already having difficulties from what I've read...see this site: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/02_44/b3806047.htm

They say that the best advertising is word of mouth...and I think it's time we let them know how we feel about their company. The site will remain open and active until they change their practices. I have hopes of them losing millions upon millions of dollars by this little project of mine. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this idea (whether it's for the idea or against it is okay).

Thanks for your time. :twisted:

Tom

Muwahahaha...

Okay, the proverbial ball is rolling...

I just registered the domain www.cap1sucks.com

I looked up several other variations of this type of site. Capital One owns most of them. Probably bought out the people who registered them originally...or registered them themselves to avoid what I am about to do...

Muwahahaha...

Okay, the proverbial ball is rolling...

I just registered the domain www.cap1sucks.com

I looked up several other variations of this type of site. Capital One owns most of them. Probably bought out the people who registered them originally...or registered them themselves to avoid what I am about to do...

Hey, I would make sure you do some homework on ownership of that sight.

They may eventually have to buy you out: I'm not sure what your rights are but as long as you post correct information, you might be OK.

You might become RICH!!!

I got a few negitive but true things on CAPITOL-ONE.

That's exactly correct. I will not allow anything slanderous to be posted. I will however, post people's stories on how they were screwed over by Cap1. If I can get them to lose business from this...then yay me! Woot!

Tom

"Putting the screws to the company that has put the screws to you"

The site will be up in a couple days. I need to find a suitable host. I'll also need to order the bumper stickers. I think they'll say something to the effect of:

Avoid Capital One

visit Cap1sucks.com for more info

*Honk if you hate Cap1* roflmao!!!

You better do that before they find out!!! LOL!!! :lol:

I was going to say that I can't believe they would be stupid enough to not own an obvious domain name like that, but, on the other hand, I CAN believe it!!! Congrats on getting that domain...it sounds like it will be awesome. I also have a Crap1 story when you're ready.

I can hardly wait until that site is up an running. I give less than 6 months before you hear from CAP 1. Make sure you post on the site that you have the right to remove slanderous information. Also get informed on your rights if they try to shut you down.

I've been trying to get back at CAP-1 for a while: They say he who laughs last laughs best. .... I think there is a lot of truth to that.

Let us know as soon as it is up.