guess what I found?

jewel1980

I went on the state BK site and I thought it would be in one of those pay for PACER systems that Sis talked about, however, all did was type in hubby's ss# in the public record search thing and press go and there it was for all eyes to see electronic proof of our BK7, now isn't there some kind of rule against your ssn# being available for all the public to see, let me know you insight on this, b/c I want to dispute this as not mine, but if I can find it, how hard would it be for a big company to find it

thanks

jewel

That's true. If you know someone who has filed BK, you can look them up, read all of their schedules, obtain their SSI, then if it's been a while, use their SSI and other personal information to open up new lines of credit then go to the mall and charge it! But, you'll only have thirty days or so to enjoy your new-found wealth.

Most states should now be exclusively PACER, so anyone who wants to look others up will first need to obtain a login ID via mail then agree to pay nominal page download charges. Some states are begininng to mask SSI's due to problems with ID theft, but this won't be of any help to previous filers.

:shock: This is rather alarming and, frankly, hard to believe. I'm not actually challenging the truth of what you guys are saying, I'm just flabbergasted !

I'm fairly sure that I couldn't get anything here in PA until I signed up for PACER. I'll have to double check on this SS# thing, though.

Jeez, seems like I'd have reason to sue SOMEBODY for leaving my SS# exposed like that ! :evil:

This is ture, here where I am, I have only but to call a toll free number, enter in the persons social security number, or name, or case number and the automated system will give me all the information concerning the bankruptcy case:

When it was filed, the amounts involved, the name of the judge, lawyers, other parties in the bankruptcy, contact information for the attorneys, status and final date on the case.

Judgments are the same way, public information just to be plucked from the court houses. We go in on a regular basis to update the CRAs and have but to set an appointment with the clerk when we won't be in their way, to just go through the files one by one.

Most of the time social security numbers are not in these files, but if the plaintiff submits documentation for the case like applications (which banks usually do) then it is these applications that will contain the social security numbers. Some court houses actually will black social security numbers - but not all of them do this.

I have heard of people filing for bankruptcies using other individuals personal information and social security numbers. It amazes me how some of this can just be accomplished - and people are none the wiser until it is too late. Very important to keep an eye on your credit report!

exactly,

who can we call about this issue and get out ss# blacked out, or whatever,

is it the AG, I am hot about this, I mean I knew it would be public record and that really does not bother me all that much, however, what bothers is my ss# there for all the world to see,

jewel

That has always bothered me about PACER. In this day and age when identity theft is a major issue, PACER makes it absolutely child's play to get ahold of personal information. There are no checks in place to protect the parties involved.

This must surely be illegal somehow. Time for some agency to look into this.

• 2 weeks later...

In some districts it is now possible to request the SSn be altered on the Pacer system in response to identity theft. Up until this year SSN's were on filings and open to anyone in the world to look up. There is NO privacy in bankruptcy! Prior to Pacer all older records can be accessed even online by anyone at no charge. OFTENTIMES ID THIEVES WILL DOWNLOAD FILINGS, THEN PERUSE SEARCH ENGINES TO ROOT OUT FAMILY HISTORIES, AWARDS, AND ANYWHERE YOUR NAME APPEARS, THEN BING, BANG, BOOM THEY CAN NOW OPEN CREDIT IN YOUR NAME! The key pieces of information are uncannily easy to obtain. States such as Delaware even sell DMV information! If you are victimized, you can obtain a new SSN number if it works for you to do so! However, if you do obtain a new SSN, be aware that past benefits attached to the original number may not transfer.