Response to Debt Verification - Help Please!

Hi everyone!

Well, my parents sent a letter out to Advanta Bank. Corp. awhile ago asking for verification of the debt that they claim my parents owe them (over $30,000.00 now that they've racked on interest charges, overlimit fees, etc.) My parents just received a letter back from them today saying the following:

"We have your recent communication about your Advanta Business Card account, in which you seek "validation" of your obligation to pay that account.

We have enclosed a copy of your Advanta cardholder agreement. Your cardholder agreement provides that use of the account to obtain credit constitutes your acceptance of all of the account terms and conditions, including your obligation to pay the credit you use. You remain obligated to Advanta Bank Corp. on that account for the balance shown on your most recent billing statement.

And if you are relying on the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (the "FDCPA") in support of your request, you should be aware that the FDCPA does not apply to the collection of debts directly by the creditor, nor does it apply to business-purpose such as your Advanta Business Card account. Please refer to your Advanta cardholder agreement and govern yourself accordingly."

Ok, first of all, I believe my parents asked for verification - not validation like Advanta is trying to claim. And, second, the cardholder agreement that they enclosed with the letter was just a mere copy of what they have everyone who opens up an account sign -- it was NOT signed or dated by my parents -- it was just a copy of the agreement that Advanta uses.... What can they do now?

Thanks so much!! :)

nice

LadynRed,

Yes, it was a business account... What are my parents options now? They sent a letter back telling them that what they sent was not verification. Also, how long does a place have to verify a debt? My parents sent some letters out on some other accounts that they have (not business accounts) and the places haven't verified them yet. I thought it was 30 days... Is it? Thanks for your reply to my previous post!!

nice