The collection Industry

nativechild48

Theory:

I was reading some of the input from some of the Collection agents on a web site and came to some conclusions of my own:

1. Some of these people that are in the business should go to the gym and work out after work, they are just as agressive and uptight in their input as they are when they talk(bark) to the "Consumer".

2. Many of them are in the business and do not know what is legal and what is not legal; Therefore if they were, they would not do things that the law does not allow, and they would not have do be on the offensive all of the time.

3. Collections agent would like for the consumer to be stupid and not know their right as provided by law.

4. They feel threatend. as the world of collections is changing in the way they used to know it.

5. Consumers and/or debtors are not always obliged to pay an assignee as some states civil code does not allow this.

6. A collector is not a creditor and therefore not allowed to sue or place a report with a CRA for A. a debt that is time barred, B. assigned or sold, in some states.

7. Some collectors feel that the consumer only want to sue them. but they must realize if anybody is wronged by anyone for anything this is the right of the wronged party to sue.

8. There are some bottom feeders that torture people and provoke them into finding out if this is legal.

9. The original creditor would not need them if they could break the rules as some collection agencies do.

10. "Deadbeats don't want to pay this," and they don't have a clue that perhaps they don't have the correct info Identity theft etc.

11. Some people (like me) had credit insurance from the OC and they would not cover it after being provided with the documentations, or you thought they paid it only to find out later they did not.

12. :twisted: Maybe the Goverment should create an agency that handles Collections, and make them qualify as a civil servant and out law Debt buying. The OC has benefited from the write off etc.

13. Collection agencies by law should have their employees to go to be medically evaluated quarterly, some of them get this "POWER" when he talks down to the consumer, some think they are holier than thou (I'd like to see the skeletons in their closets) and some think they are above the law.

14. Some of the collection people give minorities pure hell on the phone.

I am not saying all Collection agencies are bad but they should closely monitor the people that work for them, some will do anything to look good in the eyes of their employers and some condone this.

THESE ARE MY OPINIONS JUST FRON SPENDING AN AFTERNOON IN THE COMPANY OF THE"GOOD GUYS".

Excuse my typos;

ONE MAJOR THING THAT I DID NOT SAY IS ABOUT THE TELEPHONE:

A consumer does not have to answer their phone if they don't want to; The law works both way, you can contact the telephone company and pay a small fee if you have totalphone and give the telephone company the numbers that you are being called from, if they keep calling the phone co will give them a message and/or block the calls, Privacy manage works great, I give my number to the people I want to have it and I give employees, etc. codes.

THE TELEPHONE SHOULD NOT BE A FORM OF HARASSMENT.

AS I GOT OLDER I GOT BETTER BUT THIS SITE HAS TAUGHT ME A LOT ABOUT MY LEGAL RIGHTS, BY GOING ONLINE TO FIND OUT THE STATE STATUES AND THE FEDERAL LAWS.

why can't I see m colors?

Theory:

12. :twisted: Maybe the Goverment should create an agency that handles Collections, and make them qualify as a civil servant and out law Debt buying. The OC has benefited from the write off etc.

This has already been tried and it has failed miserably. The government called this misguided experiment, the Internal Revenue Service. :roll:

At last I get to live up to my chosen screen name. Let me give you one bill collectors take on some of your theories:

1. Its all about what motivates a debtor to deal with a bill. Some collectors feel being aggressive is the most effective way to do that. A lot of times they would be right.

2. They just about all know whats legal. Its a matter of what you can get away with. Example: 3rd party disclosure (to a translator) when the debtor doesnt speak english is techniquely illegal, but is something you can get away with.

3. Collection agents don't care how smart or stupid someone is, they just want the bill paid.

4. You're right, the world of collections is changing. Although you wouldnt know it from this sight, there is a movement of a more "customer service" style of collection. A lot may be stubborn, but I doubt very many feel threatened.

5. Consumers are obliged to pay debts they legally owe.

6. I know its very hard to sue in some states. Texas is known as a "debtor state" in the industry. No matter. Suits are almost always the last option.

7. Switch the word "collector" with "consumer and "consumer" with "collector" for a different viewpoint.

8. With any large group of people there will be bottom feeders

9. The original creditor wouldnt need collection agencies if people would pay their bills. Oh, and the OC can break almost every FDCPA rule if they so choosed to.

10. I know you won't believe this, but a lot of people will lie to get out of paying a bill. Its these people who make it an uphill battle for true victims.

11. You're in a tough spot. Insurance companies are usaully a different entity from the OC. Usually in these cases its the insurance companies fault. There are laws and legislation designed to protect you. Its up to the consumer to educate themselves.

12. Bad idea to put government in control of collections. As far as skeletons go, I can assure you their are none in my closet. There wouldn't be any room for the bongs, hukas, and other paraphernalia.

13. No corelation between health check ups and holier than thou attitudes. Its not about being above the law, just knowing what motivates and what you can get away with.

14. Myself, and every other bill collector I know is an equal opportunity hell giver.

Consider this thoery: Collection agencies are good!

With good credit in America you can finance anything. Without credit scoreing no one would be able to get those superlow mortages or APRs. Without credit scoreing and additional revenue generated by collection agency there would be less credit given out, there would be less spending, and there would jobs lost, which means the economy wouldnt be as robust. Myself I plan on buying a nice house at a superlow rate once I get my credit fixed.

Most people in collections feel agencies go to far, and most collectors think debtors are too well protected. I truly think there is a nice balance. The more they (CA/CRA) go overboard the more they get sued, which means eventually the will change their policy/procedures. Then the less ecucated (towards laws and rights) consumer will get the same treatment next time.

Just some of my thoughts

just had to add a few things. I used to be in collections and the only way to succeed in collections is if you intend on breaking the law. You collectors that post things on this board are too funny sometimes.

1. Its all about what motivates a debtor to deal with a bill. Some collectors feel being aggressive is the most effective way to do that. A lot of times they would be right.

Definition of aggressive for a bill collector-Harrassment, threats, and just plain out being rude. Again which is against the law.

3. Collection agents don't care how smart or stupid someone is, they just want the bill paid

Yes they do want stupid people who don't know their rights so they can threaten you into paying the debt.

9. The original creditor wouldnt need collection agencies if people would pay their bills. Oh, and the OC can break almost every FDCPA rule if they so choosed to.

They can if they so choose to because the don't have to follow the FDCPA and the FCRA, BUT!!!! state law overrides so they can if they choose but depending on what state they are trying to collect in the OC is treated as any other debt collector is. You can use NH state collection laws for reference.

Well those are the only ones I wanted to comment on.

Good luck on breaking the laws when "motivating" debtors!

The collector devil's advocate did not define the type of debts that one should be most vigorous to collect. You cannot harrass an individual if they cannot pay. There are people that are judgement proof, the debt maybe time-barred and this is why state laws give a certain amount that a debt can be collected or a person can be sued. Any person can call the courthouse to see if there is a judgement against them in superior or small claims in the county they lived at the time the debt was created; these documents are a matter of public record.(If the judgement was elsewhere then you can usually have it overturned)

RULE OF THUMB IS THIS IF A CREDITOR CONTINUES TO HARRASS A PERSON, THEY CAN TELL THEM WE ARE GOING TO TAPE THIS, THIS WILL GET A PERSON TO WATCH OUT. Although taping is considered illegal in a lot of states, it is not illegal if you have advised that person by mail you intend to do this if they call when you put this staement on a C&D letter. My attorney told me this and I checked with the State atty. office, and anyone going through this, just a simple phone call to a legal aide office or your states atty. office, (they are paid by your tax dollars) or an atty. that gives a free consultation will tell you if you can do this.

Now if a person could not pay their debts and the debt becomes time-barred and some collection agency buys it, they ARE NOT your creditor and if they try to strong arm you to make you pay save all documentation and make note of the times they call and send copies to the FTC and in some states the banking commission, the states attorney, the attorney general, BBB, and the dept. of justice. KEEP IN MIND PAYING A COLLETOR FOR A TIME BARRED DEBT DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE GOING TO PAY YOUR CREDITOR. No one tells a collector to buy bad debts, it is like anything else this is a game of chance.

By the way the devils' advocate did not say if he unwinds when he stops working.

As far as an insurance not paying, the insurance was purchased from the creditor and it was theirs. I went to an atty. and got them to remove all of the charges that they added and made them pay the debt, but some people cannot or do not know how to do this; but holding on to documentation is important and they did not have a leg to stand on.BOY WAS HFC pissed. :twisted:

"I used to be in collections and the only way to succeed in collections is if you intend on breaking the law."

"Definition of aggressive for a bill collector-Harrassment, threats, and just plain out being rude. Again which is against the law."

I had a friend who quit the business that said almost the exact same thing. The true reason he didn't succeed was because he was a poor negotiator. He'll never admit that.

"Being aggressive" and "motivating debtors" does not equal "harrassment, threats, being rude". Breaking the law does not neccesarily translate into more $. I tried telling this to my friend who quit, but its like talking to a brick wall.

Let me ask you a question Tflutterby27. Why do you think the only way to get a debtor to pay is through harassment, threats, rudeness, and other illegal tactics?

At last I get to live up to my chosen screen name.

Check this **** out. Maybe you could start a new trend. Hey' date=' if you don't get caught, what the heck, right? [url']http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/DailyNews/LeeCam_DrDiablo020814.html?partner=earthlink

14. Myself' date=' and every other bill collector I know is an equal opportunity hell giver.[/quote']

That's nice, crime usually doesn't discriminate.... :twisted:

Consider this thoery: Collection agencies are good!

Collection agencies do serve a useful purpose, but only when they're trying to collect on behalf of a client. As a business owner, I would hire one in a heartbeat, but I would get rid of them just as quick if I knew they were breaking the law. (Debt buyers should really, really find some honest work ). Being aggressive is one thing, but violating the rules in any profession is unacceptable.

Artful, polite and "enthusiastic" negotiation is the key to success in dealing with people, collections included. The problem arises when the debtor says they can't pay. This is when the wolf takes off its sheeps clothing. Even a "middle-of-the-road" collector has a collection ratio to worry about.

My wallet usually empties around scantily clad women, hehe. I think I found my holloween costume. yay

Anyway, hell-giving does not equal law-breaking. If I try to leave a message for a debtor with someone and he keeps asking specifically what the call is concerning, and even after I explain not going to violate 3rd party disclosure and they keep pushing, is it wrong to give that person a hard time? Or worse, someone misrepresents themselves to be the debtor, is it not reasonable to give a little hell then for violating the debtors rights? Or what about someone who starts screeming personal insults at you right away on the first call? People who try to dig into other peoples personal affairs too hard happens fairly regularly. People that will go off after 2 seconds with personal attacks is more rare. Most people who get calls on money owed will act in a respectful manor, even if they are upset at the situation.

Well, I should stop now before I get exorsized from this board.

My wallet usually empties around scantily clad women' date=' hehe.[/quote']

hmmm.....sorry to hear that you have to pay.

Well' date=' I should stop now before I get exorsized from this board.[/quote']

By all means continue. There are a few collectors floating around here and most of them are actually quite helpful. And plus we are helping them by trying to save their souls. :twisted:

:twisted: Well, well, well we know what the collectors do to unwind, hookas, bongs, boy what are you inhaling Devils' Advocate :?: And paying for the women's time :!::idea: Now we see the skeletons in your closet; boy no wonder "dem thar" collection agents talk junk, they are getting high and toasted because they are not getting physically released unless they pay for it, and they want the money by any means for this upkeep. "Well the truth shall set you free".

All I said was that I give it out from time to time. I never said I could take it. I'm too sensitive for that.

Seriously, frequent use of sarcasm is a habit one might pick up in my line of work. I'll admit I've probably spent way to much on strippers in my life. As far as my drug referance from before, I don't do any drugs anymore. I have the D.A.R.E program to thank for that (Drugs Are Really Expensive). I don't do anything to unwind after work. I don't have to. Nothing any of these people I call all day will ever get to me. Yell, scream, insult away, I can take it. One time I had this person call in a very serious tone she was going to come down all of our F'ing heads off. I told her that since she couldn't drive down (her car was repo'd on her CRA) I would pick her up from the airport. I laughed about what an idiot she was once we were off the phone. No stress, no unwinding needed.

By the way nativechild48, i knew you meant no harm :lol:

Since I've been in this business I've read about what some consumers say about collectors and have heard what some collectors say about debtors. I think its funny how the extremes of each side mirror each other almost exactly.

• 6 months later...

Devil's Advocate is correct there must be debt collectors out there to do the job. I must say though, the way they believe they have to threaten people is dangerous! There have been a few times where I thank god the CA was states away from me! Honest to god, I have been pushed so far that I could have easily walked into their office and commited a felony! All the while, the idea of paying the bill in question NEVER crossed my mind. One wasnt mine the other was for 18 dollars.

CA threaten and dont realize how many like ME refuse to EVER pay a bill after that kind of disrespect.

Devil's Advocate is correct there must be debt collectors out there to do the job. I must say though, the way they believe they have to threaten people is dangerous! There have been a few times where I thank god the CA was states away from me! Honest to god, I have been pushed so far that I could have easily walked into their office and commited a felony! All the while, the idea of paying the bill in question NEVER crossed my mind. One wasnt mine the other was for 18 dollars.

CA threaten and dont realize how many like ME refuse to EVER pay a bill after that kind of disrespect.