Using letter from creditor to remove negatives

I have a letter from a creditor who has agreed "as a courtesy" to remove negative info from my report. Do the bureaus just go by this letter to remove the info or do they verify with the creditor? I'm wondering because I think the negative info is still on the account, but the creditor is agreeing that they will remove it from my reports out of the kindness of their heart (I guess they're not all so bad!)

i have used letters that creditors sent to me regarding deleting info etc. just make sure that the letter is signed. or they will not accept it.

I'm glad you answered this question because I had a letter from JC Penney agreeing to remove all negative information. 8) I just look at it and it is signed :)

The letter that DH got was also signed & on letterhead from the OC. Also had phone number & extension of the person that wrote the letter. TU wouldn't accept the letter and said they had to investigate the matter on their own. Stupid thing is, they could have called the OC from the letter and gotten the answer right away, instead, they contact the CA and CA said the account was reported correctly and will remain. Funny thing is, about 1 week later the ca lowered the balance by about $400. I assume the balance that they left was what they claim should have been their money for collecting even though the account should never have gone to ca.

If it works for you, GREAT!!

Good luck!

paw67

i've sent in supporting documents, and then the CRAs tell me that they can't accept those documents and they have to investigate on their own, and then tell me I should send any supporting documentation I have.

TU is the worst (for me) about doing this.

I think, problem is with the individual at the CRA that recieves your disputes - some of them are just a PITA, so you might try to send a copy of the letter again, and hope you get a better rep to fix the matter.

Also, like if one time you mailed it in, then try the next time faxing it in.

i have to agree with kb i sent a letter to tu and it took them a while but it was deleted. and the letter was not signed. i would just keep senting it until i get the right person to delete. to me with experian i sent same letter and they told me that it has to be signed because people forge letters i kept calling and bugging them and they deleted the account some times it takes 3 or 4 tries but they will delete it