Is it too late

almostretired

Can a collection agency be sued months after they intimidated me into paying, refused to validate, said the police would be at my door within the hour unless I paid 2500$ that day by Western Union - to name a few of their violations.

I dismissed the whole incident until recently when I began reading your posts and got angry again.

Almost retired

Can a collection agency be sued months after they intimidated me into paying, refused to validate, said the police would be at my door within the hour unless I paid 2500$ that day by Western Union - to name a few of their violations.

Yes, the statute of limitations for suits under the FDCPA is 1 year.

To go after that agency successfully you'll need to document the case and assemble proof to use against them. Telling someone they will be arrested sounds more like a spoof and hopefully you'll have a recording or the threat in writing. There is a law firm/debt collector in Phoenix who represents debt buyers and calls people repeatedly on cell phones often more than once per day. Oftentimes they call business phones and say they need to hear from so and so by the end of the day, and to have so and so with the SSI number of blank (or last four digits) call them ASAP! And, that's not all they do! If you would please tell us or send a private email who has or was offending you.

The name of the firm is Corporate Receivables and they are jerks. Actually I went back and checked, and I paid them off in August 2002 (Alzheimer's makes time fly I guess) so I assume it is too late to start messing with them. The bill was not mine, but a family member who was paying for 2- 3 years then fell on hard times and got behind. She charged furniture at Rooms-To-Go in amount of $3500, paid for 2 to 3 years, and still owed (according to them, never validated) 2500$. Anyway it is paid but still listed on my CR under "current delinquent accounts" which the CRA says they can do for the next 7 years.

The bill was not mine, but a family member

What this an account that belong to you - where as the purchase belonged to the family menber?

Where you an Authorized User on this family members account?

Just need to determine - how it is on your credit report if it belonged to another...

You should immediately start your process off, by filing complaints with the reglatory board of the collection agencies in your state.

Also with the federal trade commission at www.ftc.gov or I would suggest calling in their phone number. I have seen their online complaint method, not an easy one to deal with.

Also with the better business bureau at www.bbb.com this is better then their phone method - don't hurt to much.

Also with your attorney general, I am not familiar with this part, but they should have complaints on file to back up if this company has been taking such liberties with others out there.

Get this started asap, so that you have a trail showing that you took all means to complain on the matter, you might just run into more information along the way from others that can help you further in this matter.

Actually I did file a complaint with the FTC and with the BBB in Phoenix back when this all started. The problem now is that I feel that since I paid the full amt they requested and in view of the obvious violations of the FTC (which I was ignorant of at the time I paid) I simply want this entry off my credit report.

Also, what is lol?

Thanks

"Anyway it is paid but still listed on my CR under "current delinquent accounts" which the CRA says they can do for the next 7 years."

If the CA has it listed as the above, thats a FCRA violation, It cant be delinquent if its paid.

Id sent the a validation letter based on the FDCPA,, if they even change your CR without validation, you have a violation,,Continued Collection Activity

Its kinda like fishing, you get no bites without dangling a worm in the water lol

lol = laughing out loud (you can find post in off topics covering other computer lingo for you to keep up with all the posting abbriviations).

I would recommend following up on your past disputes and getting updated paper trail started on this matter.

All the while dispute the incorrect status with the CRAs, and keep on them following up and such. You may yet get this off of your credit report - some things can take time though.