CrapitalOne

grich63

I hate to ask something that has already been covered, so I apologize in advance.

I closed CapOne secured acct the second month they attempted rape with their exorbitant charges.

My "deposit" covered all charges so I told them to {go away}

Now the balance is about double (approx $600)

Northland (CA) got the acct, I explained, they didn't care, but later offered settlement. Now it is three years later and my CR shows CapOne reporting CO in 01/02,05/0, 06/02, 09/02,12/02,04/03,06/03, with all other months showing ND (EXPERIAN only), while "Last Activity" is 08/97.

Please advise.

Please explain what is going on. I understand what I need to do (Validate, dispute, CMRR, etc.) but why does it show up 'fresh' every few months? There has been no activity on the acct since 1997.

It probably shows up every month or so because it is on the electronic tape that Cap One sends to the cra's. Some accounts they update monthly & some every other month or so. Do you have any paperwork or proof that you closed the account? I had the a similar thing happen with a First Premier account. Actually when I closed it, the deposit covered the balance and they should have sent me about $50 back. Well, I forgot about it & they didn't send any more statements so I thought it was taken care of. When I 1st pulled my reports in March 2003 I saw it listed as charged off on my reports. I disputed and they changed it to paid in settlement for less than full balance (or something like that). They claim that they wrote off $28 which is crazy.

Good luck!

paw67

My question is how does everyone else get a CA for Capital One, and I have to deal with them straight out???????

I want to deal with a CA. :cry:

Dealing with C1 is next to impossible! Would it have something to do with being in the same state? Or possibly, one County away? They have their own legal dept, lawyers that represent them within the company, so how does one get a CA to take over this account?

Gee, didn't think I'd ever ask to have a CA!! :lol:

For me (grich63) it is only CapOne on CR. How does the SOL affect this situ?

If the SOL for cc has passed in your state, then you do not have to pay the debt. If they were to sue you, you could use the SOL as an absolute defense. To determine the SOL, you need to look at the links above and find your state. That will tell you what the SOL is for your state.

paw67

According to this site, the SOL is four years.

The CO was May, 1998; The last "activity" according to CapOne rep was Sep97. Regardless of which date , the SOL is expired, but officially when did the SOL begin? When will this be disputable on CR wrt date?

Also, for paw67, CapOne told me today that they "pulled back" my acct from Northland (I don't know exactly when they did it, I didn't ask, sorry)

Thanks again for all the input.

• 3 weeks later...
I am getting letters from Northland but Crap One is reporting charge off on all three CRA's. Should I DV Northland?

Yes, I would definately send them a DV letter now. If they are not reporting this yet then you may be able to keep them off or catch them in violation by reporting but not listing in dispute.

paw67

grich,

I paid off a Crap One account via Northland (40%) of total. CrapOne kept reporting the account as a charge-off ("closed by consumer") with a balance listed. I did two things: I called Northland and got them to send me a follow-up letter stating that the balance had been paid in full. Then I sent a copy of Northland's letter to Equifax (the only CRA which showed CrapOne as a charge-off). Northland used the same account number as CrapOne so I highlighted the two numbers, and asked that the item be shown as paid in full. I also called Equifax. They had to manually delete the CrapOne--for some reason it would not drop off automatically when paid through Northland. Same thing again with Providian Bank through Northland--the account numbers were the same.

Susan