Do HIPPA valid. requests require signature?

wranglertj

How do I respond to this CA request:

Your letter disputing this account was recieved and your complaint has been investigated, However, you have failed to sign your letter or provide any identifying information about yourself.

At this time I have recieved a copy of the original financial agreement and ER documents signed by Donald W. Wrangler. I also have the date of birth,ssn. address, phone and place of employment for Donald W. Wrangler along with an itemized statement. The credit reporting was done by the SSN provided at the hospital.

Due to federal regulations that CA must abide by, including the FDCPA, Privacy Act, and HIPPA, I cannot reveal someones personal information until I have identified with whom I am dealing. You will need to provide your signature and proof this is on your credit report in order for me to proceed. Your othr option would be to dispute with your CRA who in turn will contact us with the appropriate documentation.

Just some info...the name that they provided me in the letter is not my name. My name is not Donald, but everything else they provided me with is mine. This was an ER bill for my daughter, who should have been on my insurance, but wasn't.

Should I send them a copy of my CR showing this on there? What about getting my wife to sign my letter? I know you aren't supposed to sign validation requests, and send them any information but I didn't know about HIPPA requests.

Is this an OC or CA? HIPPA should not apply to CA's only OC's.

It has been said many times on this board by members NOT to provide a signature that the CA can cut & paste as they please :x .

Do not send them anything...why help them do their job :lol: .

Hang in there, the troops will provide direction for you 8) .

Yeah, this is a CA collecting. So Vonnie, are you saying that a CA is not bound by HIPPA? So are they just failing to validate? Should I just send a 15 day validation/failure to validate letter? I'm still trying to get a CRA to dispute this account to see if they will mark in dispute.

Yeah, this is a CA collecting. So Vonnie, are you saying that a CA is not bound by HIPPA?

If it is a CA you know the routine DV(without signature) CMRR. If you have received the green card...another 15 business days then send to the CRA and have it deleted (be sure to include copy of letter and green card as proof that you contacted them and they did not respond! :)

I'm not 100% sure on this :roll: but if it is a medical bill, the OC should not disclose any information that you have not given them permission to disclose.

Do you have a copy of your HIPPA law from this OC? Would be pretty interesting if it was done prior to the 1996 HIPPA Act :?

Keep the paper trail going. If the CA validates the debt, request the means of validation...are they the owners of this account? Do they have a license to collect in your town? Are they aware of the HIPPA law and the trouble they are exposing themselves to...how much is this debt?

Let me know how it goes 8)