utility co. / collection

Anonymous

I have actively disputed a commercial Bellsouth Telecommunications acct. since 1997. I live in Ga. It was turned over to a law firm for collection in 1999 and of course appears on my credit report as a disputed collection. The law firm has not contacted me for some time but I want it off my credit and I still dispute the debt. In 2001 I contacted them saying that I still dispute the charges. They sent me a "validation" letter from Bellsouth saying they "have conducted an exam of their records that verify that Kathy --- is the subscriber responsible for payment", and that they are resuming collection and that if I do not send payment in full they will follow the necessary and appropriate procedures to collect this account. What sort of a validation am I looking for since there was no contract or signature. The law firm says their client does not negotiate these accounts. Now what?

Thank you, Kathy

You need a signed contract from the original creditor and also the fact that they are legally entitled to pursue collections, meaning they either purchased the debt or it was assigned. And you need a copy of that paperwork.

How nice of them to conclude that you owe the money without any proof. This will not stand up. If they pursue a lawsuit against you, they are in severe violation of the FDCPA: they are pursuing collection activities before validating the debt. Send them a copy of the Wollman letter:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/letters/wollman.htm

Tell them you intend to file a counter-suit against them and that it will be a slam dunk to get your $1000.

• 2 weeks later...

Kathy ~

I found out in October 2001 that Bellsouth _Atlanta had 4 accounts on my credit bureau - on 2 of the accounts I had been carrying letters around for 4 years stating these were not mind. The third was a duplicate and with the 4th it has taken 6 months to have it removed from my credit report. I did the debt valadation to Bellsouth Credit & Collections Ctr 534 Armory Place 1-NW , Louisville, KY 40202. I finally received notification from Bellouth that their records had been purged and they could no longer retrieve information (basically no proof). I was also advised by Bellsouth that I would have to notified the 'major credit bureaus".At first Equifax would not except the letter Bellsouth sent me - stating it had to come directly from Bellsouth. Equifax changed their mind when I sent an intent to sue letter - whereby upon receipt they promptly removed the 4th and finally Bellsouth account. Send everything certified , keep copies and stay on them. I hope this info helps