My turn to call courthouse !

LadynRed

Well, discoverd last night I had a message on my answering machine from 2/19 (I hadn't been home in two weeks !!) saying that I "have to call them" about a 'claim filed against you' and gave a "montgomery county file number xxxxxx". I have NO idea who the call was from they've called before (same woman) but they never give the company name. I really doubt the validity of this, but as you all know, I now have to call the Montgomery County (TN) courthouse to find out if its legit.. what a pain ! Scares me a bit, it could be real, but I've never been served so I wonder. Of course, I've rarely been at my own apt much over the past year and I'm moving out of that county in 2 weeks (yippee !). Unfortunately, TN allows service by publication, which I think is ludicrous in this day and age. I haven't subscribed to a newspaper in YEARS, no point in it.

So.. cross your fingers for me folks.. hoping this is just a stupid tactic.

Anyone out there in TN who knows what a REAL TN case number would look like ?? :confused:

Thanks Georgiaboy :)

I chickened out.. didn't call today.. :rolleyes:

If this is for real, I'm still gonna freak. I'm in the middle of trying to get moved, I'm out of that county in 2 weeks, I don't need to have to deal with this crap.

This is where wish I could have someone ELSE call for me.. LOL. I don't want to call from work, too many ears around here, if ya know what I mean.

UPDATE !

Well I spent the weekend worrying about this crap - and that on top of the stress of trying to get my house packed up to move :(

Yesterday morning (Monday) I found the answer to this so-called 'claim' call. I was going thru some papers I had and found a letter from NCO for a Wal-Mart (once M Wards) account. In that letter was NCO's "reference" number for my 'case' .. and guess what ... that number was the same number that collection witch referred to as the 'claim filed against me' and the 'Montgomery county case #' !!!

Now I KNOW this is total BS and NCO's slimey deception. Talk about deceptive language !!! I've got this cretin RECORDED giving this phoney 'montgomery county case number' - I think I'll send it to the FTC along with their letter - which also contains at least one violation !

Edcombs is getting copies too... ;)

[Edit by LadynRed on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 @ 09:12 AM]

Don't send the original copy of your recording. Make a copy and send that instead as you would more than likely not get the original back. First off, why don't you call the FTC and see if they want it. If they don't, file your complaint and be sure the rep adds the note about the tape. If they say yes, file your complaint by mail and include a copy.

BTW, that is a good catch you made. Run with it. Also, HELLO EDCombs.com!