Can I sue a scumbag CA from overseas?

Anonymous

First off, you guys do a great service; everytime I get on to the board I feel a little better. Support and Hope are a valuable commodity when dealing with these fools.

I posted part of my story a few weeks ago, but I live in Thailand and the phone lines here have been awful. I could not respond as often as I wanted before, but I think the lines are fixed.

Here goes: Creditors' Interchange called my father in Februrary and told him that if he did not pay a $3600 settlement That Very Day, he would lose his credit cards. CI NEVER attempted to contact me, and by the time I called them 20 hours later they had already frightened my father into paying. When I asked the guy at CI why he solicited payment from a person not on the account he started yelling at me, etc., etc. Chase, the original debt holder, had 2 ph# for me including the one in Thailand, and one to a POA in my home town. I was not hiding-as CI claimed I was- I just didn't know there was a problem. There's gotta be something I can do to make CI regret what they did to my father and me. I will gladly buy books, or call lawyers, or whatever if you guys know of any that can help. As you all know: It's not the money, it's the law. I want to do all I can. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the information. If I need to show up in court anyway, what will hiring a lawyer do for me? Can he or she go it alone while i'm still out o' the country? As for Dad, he's got bigger fish to fry and he won't bother doing something because I want him to. Just the way it is. Thanks again. K

What they did to your father is definitely a violation. He has the upper hand in this and can make a few bucks in the process. The most that would probably be needed from you is a deposition of what you know to be true. Have him write a statement relating everything he can remember about the conversation, and I do mean everything. Make sure he has all copies of checks, MO's, etc. Find a consumer attorney in your fathers area that works on contingency. You can find one at naca.com. Next, send a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission, father's State Attorney General's Office, CA's State AG, if different, and any other Federal and State Agency that could assist, including Banking. Do not let this one slide.

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote>Originally posted by retmar

What they did to your father is definitely a violation. He has the upper hand in this and can make a few bucks in the process. The most that would probably be needed from you is a deposition of what you know to be true. Have him write a statement relating everything he can remember about the conversation, and I do mean everything. Make sure he has all copies of checks, MO's, etc. Find a consumer attorney in your fathers area that works on contingency. You can find one at naca.com. Next, send a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission, father's State Attorney General's Office, CA's State AG, if different, and any other Federal and State Agency that could assist, including Banking. Do not let this one slide.

</blockquote>

naca.net - not naca.com ;) naca.com has something to do with college athletics, i believe.

To the original poster - if whomever has your POA has a general POA then they can sue on your behalf. Don't forget to file those complaints - they discussed your debt with a 3rd party in order to extort payment from that 3rd party. That's not just against the FDCPA, but it's criminal activity in many states.

<blockquote>Originally posted by BIF by AP

FDCPA DOES NOT APPLY OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES

</blockquote>

FDCPA applies to ANY third party collector in this country attempting to collect a debt- I'd say that covers this one, wouldn't you, Mr. Smartypants??