Fraudulant Account and NCO

crabbycat

Hello everyone, I have been reading for days and need to know if anyone could help me with this problem. A few years back, Sept, 2000, I received a letter from NCO indicating a past due bill of $270 to creditor Public Service Electric and Gas in New Jersey. "What?", I said to the rude person on the phone when I called. "I have never lived in New Jersey. It is a fraudulent account, somehow someone has my information." Not knowing any of this information out here, I never would have called them in the first place. Someone from there said they would have a Mr. Martin call me back, never happened, I called again, no call from Mr. Martin, ever, and I now realize they were stalling me past that initial 30 day period. I ended up calling that Gas company and told them it was fraud, and I could prove I never ever lived there, etc so I faxxed them info..insurance bills, etc. They were nice, and told me not to worry they would take care of NCO. Well, about 2 months ago, I started getting the phone calls again, from Ms. Schmoe at NCO. I called, (not knowing not to) and they still keep calling, and now after reading your site, I realize when they call now, they do not say that mini-miranda, they keep asking for my social security number but I do not give it out and they say they cannot send me any mail until I verify my social security with them. About 2 weeks ago I received a credit card statement indicating they raised my interest rate for failure to pay on an account. I pulled my credit records and sure as crap, there it is...Marlin Intergrated Capital, Inovision blah blah blah...$320 Open 120+ days past due. This is the only account in my record anywhere that has ever been past due, ever, and it is not even mine. So, having not yet found your Board, I contact the OC again, tell them the whole thing again, again they were nice, I refaxxed all the information, but she couldn't find the account but she said she would dig this up and contact NCO. NCO calls again, asks for social security number and when I refuse they jump up and down, scream, hang up. Now, here is where I need help. I do not know what to do first. The bad mark on my CR has already increased an interest rate 9%, and I am just waiting for the rest to follow suit. Do I call them and tell them to stop calling me and send me something in writing? Do I send them a DV letter? Do I send a letter to Diane Sawyer and 20/20 and have her investigate that horrible NCO, Marlin company? :D Should I call the 3 CR and tell them it is fraud and being disputed? What else do I do? Is Marlin Intergrated Licensed to practice in PA? Is this the correct address for NCO? 515 Pennsylvania Ave, Fort Washington, PA 19034???? Geez, so many questions, I hope I have not duplicated any, though I suspect I have somewhere. Any help/advice would be appreciated and I would be ever so grateful to you all. Thanx, crabbcat

Forgot to mention, The OC is in NJ, NCO in PA, and I live in Maryland. At the time fraudulant debt occured, I lived in North Carolina.

[Edit by crabbycat on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 @ 07:45 PM]

You're lucky you found out about this in short order. I had almost the same thing happen to me but it was 7 or 8 years getting to me. Identity theft and a couple of moves, then they sued me! It is an up hill battle but stick with it.

Get a lawyer, pay him or her a couple grand, then sue the CA(s) and OC(s) and anyone else that contacted you about this. Keep them in court until dooms day.

Dispute the collection account with the CRA's. Dispute it as 'not mine', since it isn't. They MUST investigate and since good ole PSE&G (I used to live in south Jersey) can't find any evidence of an account with YOUR proper info, then it cannot be verified by the CRA's and it MUST be removed -and NCO MUST get lost as well !!

If they don't, do has Jeff suggests, sue the SOB's !

<blockquote>Originally posted by LadynRed

Dispute the collection account with the CRA's. Dispute it as 'not mine', since it isn't. They MUST investigate and since good ole PSE&G (I used to live in south Jersey) can't find any evidence of an account with YOUR proper info, then it cannot be verified by the CRA's and it MUST be removed -and NCO MUST get lost as well !!

If they don't, do has Jeff suggests, sue the SOB's !

</blockquote>

I can not understand how some bogus debts can be so sticky. You would think after 22 years this account would be buried. My fist account number changed when the New York bank transferred the account to a Florida bank. Then Fires union got that account and then MBNA got it and changed the account number again. I found that out when I wrote to the Comptroller of the Currency’s Customer Assistance Group. They detailed the history of that CC account and it fit with my disconnected records. I had no idea how that number was changed for the convenience of the CC departments. Bunch of sneaky scum suckers. Anyway, I lost the statements for he original closed account during hurricane Andrew, but that was 1992 and I would think they would give up on me!

So, what's left? Sue the SOBs.

Hi, and thanks to all who responded. I am getting ready to send DV letters to NCO, and Marlin and Inovision.

I called Public Service Electric and Gas and they said this was not their debt. They took it all the way to top of Collection Dept there.

When I send these validation letters, do I sign with my usual signature?????? I am so afraid they will forge it now... I usually sign everything with First inital, Middle initial and Full last name. Should I sign in full name instead?????

Great thanks, I saw that in another post after I asked the question. Ha...I just sent to NCO the DV, via CCRR. I wonder if I should also send one to Marlin Integrated, since they are the one who posted the thing on my CR with Equifax, who I called today and they told me that Marlin already responded to my dispute by saying nope. What is nope? And who does the CR believe, I am still disputing this.

Just thinking outloud I guess...should I send Marlin a DV also?

thanks,

crabbycat