Paid Collections

Anonymous

So jordanmorganusa, how many paid collections did you have and did the validation letters work? Or did you have to esculate the threats? I guess what I want to know is how long did it take, did you have to take anyone to court and how difficult was it? Any experience with original creditors as paid charge-offs being removed? I have 3 paid collections and one paid OC charge-off. Right now I'm validating the three collections and am wondering how far I willl have to go.

It works for different reasons. They are still subject to the FDCPA and FCRA. They have their money already, so why argue about it? One actually wrote in the letter, "Since you insist<sigh> on pursuing this matter, we have made the business decision to delete this account". Some know that they were never legally supposed to collect on the account and since they received their money and got away with it, are content not to get found out. So they delete quickly and quietly. I've had to threaten to sue or actually sue some, but I got what I wanted. I ususally start at the top and work my way down. The CEO or President ususally isn't happy having some menial task on their desk and it gets handles rather quickly.

I have a paid collections account which is almost 5 years old. The collection account was for a $63 bounced check. I did debt validation and the CA sent me a copy of the bounced check but no other information. Is this enough to be considered validation? Should they have sent me a contract between them and the OC also? Where do I go from here?

Aleta

Jordan,

the account was paid 5 years ago. I am just trying to get it off of my credit report. I would guess that it was assigned but I would have no way of knowing that. I just checked the PA department of state website and they did not come up in a search of businesses licensed to collect in this state. What can I do from here? If they were assigned or bought the debt, would that affect their ability to collect in PA if they are not licensed?

The thing with CAs is that they think that we don't know anything. They figure that we believe eveything that they tell us. It does matter if they are assigned or if they purchased the debt. I would contact the OC and advise them of the situation. Write the CAs and tell them that you will only deal with the OC. I did that on one that was already on my report and it was deleted. And one that they threatened to put on there. The CA pissed me off so bad that I told them under no uncertain terms that if they ever contacted me again that I would sic my lawyer on them. Haven't heard from them since. OCs like to hire the CAs to do their dirty work, but then they don't like being coupled with them when they break the law. Get all of the info you can from bbb.com. If they have offices in other states, check out the Divison of Corporations for those other states as well. I let a CA know I knew about their shady dealings(never mind the law breaking)and lo and behold, the listing was deleted the NEXT DAY. HEE HEE HEE

I have tried to get the phone number for the OC but it is for a large national chain of clothing stores. I tried to find the company using toll-free directory assistance but was not successful. Maybe I can go to the store and get the corporate phone number. But then, what do I do? The account is already paid and has been for 5 years! I don't think that I have much leverage in this case.

Any suggestions?

Aleta