Paid Collection

Anonymous

I paid a collection to an agency and autorized a check over the telephone. The check cleared in two days. Approximately six months later I began receiving letters stating the debt was still owed. I requested a copy of the cancelled check from my bank showing that the debt had been paid and to whom. To date, they continue to say I still owe and that my account had NSF, even after I provided them with proof. What do I do now?

Send them a letter with the proof you paid and an intent to sue letter. They are violation of the FDCPA for trying to collect on a debt which you don't owe. (It doesn't exactly say that if they try and collect on a paid debt that they are in violation, but I think this can be inferred.)

But don't send them a copy of the check. I read on another board where someone did that and the CA or OC put the same check through somehow and got paid AGAIN!

I'm not sure how this is possible, but they supposedly did it.

I'd try and get a letter from the OC stating that the account is paid.