Anonymous

Help, please. i have a rep. from asset acceptance, a debt purchaser, calling me at work. Appartenly, they purchased my account from Montgomery Wards. The lastpayment on this account was in 9-98. It was $785.00, w/ interest it's 1085. They will settle for 814.00. After how long can you offer .50 on the dollar for an account. What can I do?She is threating to pass it on to their legal dept.

As the others said, check your State's SOL. It is considered an "open account". If past, send the C&D CMRR and tell them to take a hike. Do not let them try and convince you they are now the OC. They are full of "Maggot Droppings". They are a debt buyer and therefore fall under the FDCPA. Also, while the phone call is still fresh on your mind, write every little detail you can recall, including date, time, name, exact words, etc. You want to keep a trail of everything going on. Then, go to edcombs.com and search their site. You will find a section wanting info on certain CA's. A$$et is one of them. Follow directions and someone will respond. Help them all you can with your info. Do not panic. If, by chance, they call you before receiving your letter, don't tell them about letter, just remember to write everything down and at same time ask the "ADUB" to send everything in writing as to what is said during the call. You want to create the biggest paper trail you can.

[Edit by retmar on Thursday, April 3, 2003 @ 07:28 PM]