A little scared...

Jericho2

Hello everyone.

I am a little scared. I owe about $5000 (with all there fees and interest) on a credit card account that was sold to AssetAcceptanceCorp. The last purchase on the account was in Sept 1998 and the last payment I made on the account was June 2000. It was a HouseHold Bank account from BestBuy orginally.

They have sent me two collection letters offering to settle for $3000 and I sent them 2 letter requesting validation. They say the request is in there "documents" department.

I dont care that it is on my credit report and I dont want to sue them.

My big fear is that they will sue me. I have an okay job right now and no house or assets. I have a car im making payments on, have paid off and canceled all my other credit cards. Does anyone have any experience with this AssetAcceptance company? Do you think they will be able to properly validate the account information or sue me?

I dont care if they continue to send letters and dont care if they report it til hell freezes over. I fear court, but couldnt come up with $3000 ever. Wage Garnishment would bring my walls down around me.

Any advice?

Jericho2

<blockquote>Originally posted by Jericho2

I dont care that it is on my credit report....</blockquote>

I wish I could say that.

No offense, but you SHOULD care. Whether or not you have a good credit report can affect alot of things, just because you say you dont have a mortagage now doesnt mean that you wont want to one down the road.

And not caring about what is in your credit report can affect whether or not you GET that mortgage.

Anyways, about your situation, have you sent the collection agency a Cease Comm letter?

If not, do it.

Second as for thier BS about the "documents dept" ITS CRAP. Make sure you do everything in writing and CMRRR.

As for that specific company, I know nothing about it, but I am sure someone else here will help out.

<blockquote>Anyways, about your situation, have you sent the collection agency a Cease Comm letter?

If not, do it.

</blockquote>

pssst. IMO, it should be a *limited* C&D letter.

Tell them to cease calling you.

Leave them at least one option to contact you, especially if the debt is within the SOL, which this one likely is.

If you do a complete C&D, your next communication from them could very well be a summons. Someone over on CRR just learned that lesson the hard way.

JMO.

Hey....your the boss cookiemnster! :D

Thanks for correcting my boo-boo :(

Im tryin to stick to the "easier" questions and let the pros (you know who you are) take care of all more challenging stuff.

PS- C is for COOKIE thats good enough for meeeee.........(anyone remember that from Sesame Street?)

A$$et is one of the worst debt buyers out there. Do as the others told you as quickly as you can. Be sure to keep a log of all phone calls, if there are any more. If you have already had some, sit down and write everything you can remember about it right down to exact words used.

As Morrow said, you do need to care about your CR. Not just for Mortgage. There are a lot of Rental Companies, big and small, using CR's before renting. Anymore, it seems that many companies are now doing this for whatever reason. Insurance, utilities, you name it.

<blockquote>Originally posted by morrow

Hey....your the boss cookiemnster! :D

Thanks for correcting my boo-boo :(

Im tryin to stick to the "easier" questions and let the pros (you know who you are) take care of all more challenging stuff.

PS- C is for COOKIE thats good enough for meeeee.........(anyone remember that from Sesame Street?)

</blockquote>

I was wondering when cookie was gonna show up with self portrait!

C is for cookie thats good enough for me,

OOOHHH cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C!

Yes I remember!

:D

<blockquote>Originally posted by cookiemnster

Leave them at least one option to contact you, especially if the debt is within the SOL, which this one likely is.

If you do a complete C&D, your next communication from them could very well be a summons. Someone over on CRR just learned that lesson the hard way.

</blockquote>

Exactly! People need to get off the trip about just sending out C&D's. It's not the way to go about removing items from your credit reports but to cease all communications.

Btw girl- It's about time you got your avatar, it's PERFECT!!!

<blockquote>Originally posted by Swede

Btw girl- It's about time you got your avatar, it's PERFECT!!!

</blockquote>

LOL I've had it up on my server for a long time (for something else) but just got around to linking it in my profile. Couldn't let you and kimber show me up with those honkin' big huge avatars ;)

Couldn't let you and kimber show me up with those honkin' big huge avatars ;)

</blockquote>

Don't wanna be left behind huh?!! I hear ya :p

No, Swede's is pushing my columns over. Maybe I'll be nice and resize it for her ;)

</blockquote>

Oops so sorry, didn't realize that. Please fix it for me, oh great one....;)

[Edit by Swede on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 @ 11:36 AM]

<blockquote>Originally posted by kimber6337

Swede's is at

http://www.gifs.net/animate/giflist.htm

Did you resize it with code or a program?

</blockquote>

You do resizing with either Adobe Photoshop or PSP(PaintShopPro). I BELIEVE that PSP gives you a 30 day free trial..

Course, if you wanted to do the.. less honorable.. method you could find either one of them on kazaa or astalavista.com for free.. not that I would *snicker*ever encourage*giggle* such behavior*hehehe*

<blockquote>Originally posted by Xanathos

...you could find either one of them on kazaa or astalavista.com for free.. not that I would *snicker*ever encourage*giggle* such behavior*hehehe*</blockquote>

Why did I all of a sudden feel that my computer privacy has been violated...just by looking at that site (astalavista.com) All that stuff about cracking codes and hacking into systems, and the info so readily available to anyone. That was Crappy McStupid.

astalavista.box.sk - its been around for years and its a very .. ahem.. 'handy' site to know about ;) Hacking, cracking, phreaking, virus-writing, etc. - fact of life in the computer world and its probably never going to go away.

As for resizing graphics - I'm a web/graphic designer - if you need a graphic resized or altered and don't want to pirate a legit program - email me, I'd be happy to help :D

[Edit by LadynRed on Friday, April 11, 2003 @ 09:55 AM]

<blockquote>Originally posted by morrow

<blockquote>[Why did I all of a sudden feel that my computer privacy has been violated...just by looking at that site (astalavista.com) All that stuff about cracking codes and hacking into systems, and the info so readily available to anyone. That was Crappy McStupid.

</blockquote>

Your computer is perfectly safe, that's just a very handy site. THe ironic thing is you probably Google. And Google uses something called an "immortal cookie", which is worse than damn near ANYTHING you'd pick up by going to a cracking site.

In regard to C&D letters, an attorney should advise on whether it's legally sound to send a limited C&D whereby you can request they not call at work, on a mobile phone, etc. Generally, collection agencies may either attempt collection activity or be directed to cease all activity on command with a C&D letter. In other words, it may be collect or cease all collection activity.

<blockquote>Originally posted by LadynRed

astalavista.box.sk - its been around for years and its a very .. ahem.. 'handy' site to know about ;) Hacking, cracking, phreaking, virus-writing, etc. - fact of life in the computer world and its probably never going to go away.

As for resizing graphics - I'm a web/graphic designer - if you need a graphic resized or altered and don't want to pirate a legit program - email me, I'd be happy to help :D

[Edit by LadynRed on Friday, April 11, 2003 @ 09:55 AM]

</blockquote>

Lady,

Help! I want one but have exhausted myself trying by myself :(

Thanks?