What do we do??

luvtnis2

My husband made a settlement offer with a collector for $2600 (I owed $5500)..and hubby asked that they send a fax to him with the agreed amount. The creditor promised but after 4 days, we received nothing. We need this statement because this money is coming from a house I own that I refinanced and part of the deal was that I pay off some creditors...so hubby calls them today asking where the fax letter was and the woman said she needed to know "WHERE" the money to pay this debt was coming from. Hubby told her it was none of her business and she again

demanded to know where it was coming from..Hubby was becoming very angry and

told her again that it was none of her concern and they should be happy we are paying them!! He then told the woman he was not telling her, thank you and goodbye.

Do we have to tell them where we are getting this money?? They are scheduled to take these funds in 2 weeks by electronic check (I know, I know..dumb move but hubby didn't realize this)...or should I just send them a check with the

amount marked "paid in full"..Hubby said he would call back in a couple of days, but Im worried and just want this resolved.

What's the best thing to do?

Thanks!

I would immediately close the checking account! As to where the money is coming from, tell them - drugs! Since they really wanted to know, right? A paid-in-full check may not be a prudent idea as checks notated in this manner can be accepted under duress, etc. and collectors can still collect more.

Thanks for your replies...When my husband calls them again, should he tell them straight out that there is not a law saying he has to tell them where the money comes from? How would you handle this??I think they won't send the fax to us because once they get the $2600 from us,they plan to try and collect more...so now hubby says he will call and talk to a "supervisor" to see if they will send the letter by fax.What else can we do?

We need to have this to give to the mortgage co. to get the money to put in the bank by a certain date...We live in Ga. and Valentine & Kabartas are the lovely creditors!!

No, there are no laws that say you have to tell them ANYTHING. They have NO reason to know the source of the funds, it sounds like a fishing tactic to find out about other funds you may have that they can go after. If they think you have money, they won't settle for the $2600, they'll want it ALL. DO NOT give them any more info, you are not obligated to do so in any way and that's all you have to say. If you don't get that letter, don't pay them. They are probably stalling to try to screw you out of more $$, don't let them. They'd call and harrass you every day, so its time you called and harrassed them every day for that letter !

Thanks for your post! I don't plan to

give them any info and will call everyday til we get that letter stating the agreed amount. Its so obvious what they are trying to do to us.

Hopefully we'll get this resolved within a few days and I'll let everyone know how it worked out.