How do you know

Anonymous

Lisa,

I am also in PA and was looking at the same question. I found a website when surfing (I should have written it down) that gave a listing of all the states regs on this issue. From what I found, they do not have to have a license. But I don't know if they don't need one if they are out of state with respect to the state that they are mainly doing business from. When I find the link again I will remember to send it to you.

Aleta

I sent the information to the CRA. I told them that Medclr was using a PA address and yet they were not registered to do business in PA. They turned it over to their compliance department. two weeks later, the accounts were deleted.

I send C&D letter as a follow up. :D

In the state of PA, by the department of banking, collection agencies are regulated and licensed. They are under certain compliance.This data was collected from their state government site. The dilema I am curtailing is with out of state licensed CA who *supposedly* bought my delinquent account from the original creditor. I filed the letter of validation <sent via Cert.letter/return signature required>,only updated thru the Post office that the letter has yet to be picked up. This was mailed over two weeks ago to their P.O Box. The account in question was found deliquent back in '95 according to the letter of intent to collect.Although my own records indicate '93 was the last time I even had credit card activity.I have since re-stored a new clean credit record and dont want this new change of events to tarnish it. The credit bureau acknowledged only that "at some point it must have been on your report in order for them to pursue" .Can a CA still pursue even after its off my report? :confused: Since I reside in PA and they are not licensed here should I file a report to my state? any ideas will be welcomed!

Yes, they can pursue collections even though they don't report on your credit report.

The other answer to your question, is if they are not licensed to collect in your state, then you need to send them a letter telling them you will report them to the state banking department if they don't stop their collection efforts. You have them there....