Can a disputed item lower your FICO score ?

Anonymous

As of yesterday,nothing has been placed on my credit report from a collection agency attempting to collect a debt that I don't owe.I mailed a letter of dispute within the 30 days requested by the CA.I'm getting ready to refinance my house and I'm worried about the possibility of it showing up as a "disputed item" on my report and possibly lowering my score.Will a disputed item lower an individuals score?I realize the bank will question this should it appear,but I have plenty of documentation to support my claim.Thanks for any help you can provide.

John

If it appears, it will lower your score. If you have the supporting documents that prove a bogus collection, the mortgage underwriters will take that into consideration. They may, however, decide to wait for the outcome before making their decision.

If it 100% bogus, I wouldn't wait around for the CA to give you an answer. It will probably be "you owe us money". They will probably get p.o.'d that you are challenging them, and they'll list the collection with the CRAs.

When I receive bogus collection letters, I send the CA the standard written dispute, then I turn over all documentation to the Attorney General in the state they practice in, quoting the CAs violations of the FDCPA. Amazing results when you get the Man involved.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

You're right. Normally, the CA will post the collection on your bureaus and then notify you that you owe them money.

Like I said, especially if it's a frivolous collection, hit them fast and hard. If they see you're in the right and you know what you're talking about, and they get the inquiry from the AG, they'll drop you like a hot potato. No reason to stretch this out when you have more important things to do.

Well,it's not 100% bogus.The CA is trying to collect a payment for a car that was rented to me while my vehicle was being repaired at a car dealership.

I have a copy of an invoice billed to the dealership from the rental co which states "the amount due from the renter is 0".The dealership wrote a letter to the CA,accepting full responsibility for this debt,but claims to have paid it by a credit card.I have a copy of that letter,but the CA as well as the rental company are telling me that I'm responsible because I signed the rental contract.I've been trying to obtain a copy for the last 2 weeks from the CA without any luck.There's something on that contract that they don't want me to see.I wrote on the contract that the dealership was responsible for making the payment prior to my signature.

The CA is trying to settle this with the dealership,but if it fails I'm responsible according to CA and the rental co,in spite of the dealership accepting full responsibility for this debt in writing.

I have a feeling I'll have to contact an attorney if this doesn't get settled and I get a bad mark on my CR.

John

That appears to be the case. Why not forward all the info to your state Attorney General and see what happens? It won't cost you anything, and might motivate them to straighten the situation out. Keep in mind though that the AG cannot represent you personally should this need to go to litigation.