Can a credit card company tell you they are going into your

Anonymous

I have an account with crosscountrybank. I have been trying to pay them off so I can close the account completely. They have charged me so many fees that it seems almost impossible and they call me everyday even if I have just made a payment. I have told them that i was laid off due to the 9-11 events and my income is limited and I have tried to make payment plans with them. I won't allow them to go into my checking account because I have been ripped off before. They call me everyday and sometimes they even threaten me. I am barely making ends meet as it is. What are my rights? Can they call me 7 days a week 5 times a day? And can they tell me I have to give them my bank account number and I will give it to them? I have been able to work out arrangments with all my other creditors but them. What are my rights concerning collections?

That is true under Federal Law (the FDCPA). However many states have laws regulating debt collection activities that apply even to the original creditor. In California, for example, Civil Code section 1788.2 defines "debt collector" as anyone who... on behalf of himself or others, engages in debt collection. Let me know what state you are from and I'll see if there is a similar statute.