Statute of limitations

kepok

My husband has a collection agency account on his credit report from a past marriage. The last time any payment was paid was approx. 5 years ago. The site states that for our state the statute of limitations is 3 years. However, the last activity date is listed as a few months ago on the report. Can they update the report by only sending you a letter or calling even though there has been no payment or other activity?

Thanks

First of all, SOL has nothing to do with how long things stay on your credit report and it cannot be reaged with anything but a payment.

The creditor can update your credit report with new activity, but the item still comes off after 7 years on your credit report, you will just need to prove it to the bureaus. "Reaging" you account is really common among creditors.

Thank you for your response.

I am aware of the time limit of 7 years for the listing on the credit report. I am confused about the SOL on lawsuits. The collection agency is updating the "last date of activity" every couple of months, even though there has been no activity on the account except for their attempts to collect. I guess my question is does theri attempts at collection constitute activity on the account?

If you can prove when your last payment to them was (the original creditor) and you have not made any more payments on this debt, then this is the date which will be used. But you will need some kind of proof IF they take you to court.