OLD Collection effort

Anonymous

I received a call today from a fellow attempting to collect a debt that the last activity was around April 1992. The original amount was about $1,000. I honestly don't remember if I paid it off or not(I had a LOT of debt, and thought that I did). They told me that with interest, charges, etc., that it was over $1,700! After arguing a few minutes(I know that is not good, but...) they said that they would take $500, but that the offer would only be good until May 30, and hinted that legal action may be taken, unless I could provide proof that I had paid the acct. I have not been able to locate ANYTHING that old(between a divorce, moves, etc.) to prove or disprove it. I have read somewhere about SOL, but am not exactly clear on where I should go from here. I have good credit now, with no negative marks, and intend to keep it that way. Any advice on where to go from here would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Look up the SOL on this site and see if they can get a judgment in court:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/statuteLimitations.shtml

If they can't, tell them to pound sand. They really can't do anything. If they try and put this on your credit report they are in violation and you can sue the pants off of them.

[Edit by Sylvia on Saturday, May 18, 2002 @ 09:20 AM]